How to write great rhythms?

• Members

Best thing for you to start doing is playing with a metronome all the time.

A Rhythm will sound great if its played in time. Sometimes things like triplets can spice up a Rhythm, using rests and things like that are also good things to try.

However, the most important thing regarding Rhythm is to be in time.

Try to come up with Rhythms for songs with the metronome clicking at a slow speed (40->60bpm). They'll definatley sound better.

Another good thing to try, would be to take an existing Rhythm(from a song or something) and transpose it to a different key and see how it sounds.

• Members

Thanks for that thread, Dubb, the first posting was helpful. However, I'm thinking there is a "secret" to great rhythms. It goes like this: A constant, even or odd number of accents per measure. For example: [1 2 3and 4and,] [1234]. See how both measures have an even amount of accents? Or, alternating odd accents in one measure with even accents in the next measure.

[1and 2and 3and 4] [12and 3and 4]. I think the alternating method might be best.

• Members

To come up with great rhythms you have to know what those rhythms are in the first place. I have a book full of rhythm exercises for singers (a drum book would work well too) that I've used to get a handle on eighth note patterns, sixteens and beyond. If I practice them enough they eventually creep into my playing when I'm in a creative space.

Archived