CAGED BOX PATTERNS _ NAME THEM

• Members

These are the five box patterns for the major scale. In this case they are shown in the key of C

These are the CAGED version

I have a few questions about them but first - do they have names ?

I often see them in books and they are referred to as pattern 1, 2 etc but I think that the books may differ as to which pattern is referred to as pattern 1. Is there a convention as to which shape is called pattern 1 (and does it depend on the key)

or are there common names for these boxes which has eluded me entirely

---E---F-------G

---B---C-------D

---G-------A----

---D-------E---F

---A-------B---C

---E---F-------G-

--------G------A

--------D------E---F

---A-------B---C

---E----F------G

---B----C------D

--------G------A

-------A-------B---C

-------E---F-------G

---B---C-------D

-------G-------A

-------D-------E---F

-------A-------B---C

----B---C-------D

--------G-------A

----D-------E---F

----A-------B---C

----E---F-------G

----B---C-------D

--------D-------E---F-

--------A-------B---C

----E---F-------G----

----B---C-------D----

--------G-------A----

--------D-------E---F

• Members

Have you ever wondered why they called it the "CAGED" method?

I refer to it as the CAGED method because each of the the shapes can be used to play barre chords (based on the C, A, G, E and D shapes) - whereas the other patterns such as 3 fret per string don't suit themselves to playing barre chords

but that doesn't help identify the individual box shapes and to give them names (or does it )

• Members

The names are called E shape, D shape, C shape, A shape and G shape. You use the bar chords to guide you so you don't get lost on the fretboard when you are soloing.

I would have thought these names refer to barre chords

I was asking for the names of the five different box patterns which cover the neck to form the C maj scale

• Members

I would have thought these names refer to barre chords

I was asking for the names of the five different box patterns which cover the neck to form the C maj scale

They refer to both. His post is correct. The CAGED pattern shapes are not referred to as patterns 1, 2, etc, but rather C shape, A shape, G shape, etc. And you are right that the name of a pattern shape depends on which key you're in. It's based on where the root notes are. Here are some illustrations to explain:caged1.gif

caged2.gif

caged3.gif

So, for example, for the patterns that you posted, if we're working with the key of C, then the pattern that you labeled "1" is actually the "C-shape" pattern, because the root notes correspond to location of the root notes in a C-shape bar chord. The "2" pattern is the A shape, and etc.

But if we're working with the key of F, the pattern you labeled "1" would be the E-shape pattern, because the root notes would correspond to the location of the root notes in an E-shaped bar chord. See how that works?

• Members

These are the five box patterns for the major scale. In this case they are shown in the key of C

These are the CAGED version

I have a few questions about them but first - do they have names ?

I often see them in books and they are referred to as pattern 1, 2 etc but I think that the books may differ as to which pattern is referred to as pattern 1. Is there a convention as to which shape is called pattern 1 (and does it depend on the key)

or are there common names for these boxes which has eluded me entirely

---E---F-------G

---B---C-------D

---G-------A---- ---D-------E---F

---A-------B---C

---E---F-------G-

--------G------A

--------D------E---F

---A-------B---C

---E----F------G ---B----C------D

--------G------A

-------A-------B---C

-------E---F-------G

---B---C-------D

-------G-------A -------D-------E---F

-------A-------B---C

----B---C-------D

--------G-------A

----D-------E---F

----A-------B---C ----E---F-------G

----B---C-------D

--------D-------E---F-

--------A-------B---C

----E---F-------G----

----B---C-------D---- --------G-------A----

--------D-------E---F

Those patterns (regardless of key) fit together to form whats known as the Diatonic Scale.

All 5 of those "boxes" you listed can each serve as a starting point for playing the various modes, and I labeled them off to the right (patter 5 is Dorian and so on).

It's important to know that these patterns can be used in any key, Dorian mode does not have to start on 'D' but can start on any note in any key, and so on and so forth with the rest of the modes.

Archived