Favourite LH wrist position?

• Members

What is your favourite way of keeping the left-hand wrist while playing alternate picking?

Do you change it significantly or do you stick to one position when moving up the fretboard?

And do you use move your wrist to different positions when using legato?

I'm referring for example to the difference in the angle between your left hand and your left arm when fretting some notes.

I keep an acute (

But some players "grab" the neck in a way that gives an obtuse (?) angle, with results in part of the palm touching the back of the neck, and the the thumb being either parallel to the neck or otherwise coming up to touch the lowest string.

Also, the second way results in the 4 fingers to have a more diagonal position compared to the fretboard.

• Members

There is only one GOOD way to position the wrist. I found out the hard way.... wrist surgery... that wrist angles can damage tendons.

The correct wrist position begins with good posture, using a strap to keep the guitar up, and avoiding excessive bending of the wrist.

The wrist should almost always be straight and should NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER....
be close to a 90 degree angle.

If you bang out a few power chords... you probably wont damage much but if you play more demanding music your wrist should always be straight or slightly bent.

Archived