controlling strings ringing out

zappolehgan

• Members

The above is helpful, but I find that the most annoying string noise comes from thi higher strings not the lower ones (high squealing feedback). I can't say I ever practiced what I am going to describe in a moment (it just sort of happened), but in the distant past a guy who was taking lessons from me came to watch my band practice. After we finished he asked if he could play through my amp (a full stack) as he wanted to see how it sounded when he played (he had a little 1x8 solid state fender at home). Well all we heard was the ringing of strings that he wasn't playing (exagerated by the volume of the amp). This suprised me as he was one of my better students at the time. After hearing this it made me analyze my own technique to see what I was doing subconsciously to avoid this, therefore making it possible to show my students. Anyway, on to my suggestions.

The idea is simple really, but may take some time to incorporate into your playing. Mute the strings that are deeper than the one that is being played with the palm of your picking hand. Mute the strings that are higher than the one being played by gently resting the fingers on your fingering hand on those strings. That's it.

Some guys tie a sock or some other dampening device over the first fret space, but then your open notes won't ring, so I wouldn't recommend this lazy way out (plus, it looks stupid).

Play loud so that you can hear the excessive ringing, and concentrate on making it go away. BTW wear ear plugs- I don't want to be sued if you lose some hearing because of my suggestion:cop:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived