Simplest way to generate a stn/tab image file

• Members

I'd like sometimes to post a small excerpt (1-4 bars) or exercise, either in standard notation or tab depending on the circumstances.

Do you know what would be the easiest way to generate a small jpg of that?

Do you know a simple freeware program to write in standard notation / tablature, that would generate something like that, or otherwise something that could be later converted into an image (such a pdf page, for instance)?

Thx!

• Members

Powertab is free. You can only export as bmp one staff at a time, which can be a biatch if you are doing a full piece. But it would work great for oneliners.

Once exported as a bmp you can open it in Paint and save it as a much smaller jpg file.

The one crock about PT is that it doesn't always get the enharmonic notes correctly. It can make for some erratic site reading. But, for oneliners, and for tab with rhythm notation it works great.

• Members

No need for fancy programs. Just hit the "Print Screen" (sometimes abbreviated Prnt Scrn) button somewhere near or above the home/insert keys on your keyboard and whatever is currently on your monitor will be saved in your clipboard as an image file. To view and save it, open the "MS paint" utility that comes with Windows (Run -> "pbrush") and go to Edit -> Paste, then crop and save to your taste.

So basically, if you can see it, you can save it. You're on your own for getting the notation on the screen though ;).

• Members

From what I read, I believe PowerTab will be perfect!

- It's free
- It can be used to create both tabs and standard notation
- It can save it as BMP

The fact that it's limited to 1 line isn't a problem for me, because I'm looking for something to "print" exercises, not full songs.

Thank you all very much :thu:

Archived