Recommend me a jazz solo to transcribe?

Neehan

• Members

Transcribing is something I have put off doing for far too long. Recommend me a great solo to transcribe from one of the greats. Preferably a standard tune and preferably no chord solo. Something on the easier side to transcribe.

I'm thinking about doing "If You Could See Me Now" by Wes Montgomery off of the album Smokin' At The Half Note.

Thanks

• Members

The Miles Davis version of Dear Old Stockholm 'seems' pretty easy. I've learned Miles solo before and there was some choice stuff in it (of course). But the other soloists sound pretty easy, or achievable.

I have a ton of different gigs lined up through May, as well as a heavy load of after hours work at my regular job, but after May this is the first tune I'm going to transcribe out completely...since it's one of my all time favorite tunes and this is a sweet version.

I don't really transcribe (or even listen to) a whole lot of guitarist anymore so I guess this tune would be my suggestion for you get into some new territory on the guitar.

All the solo's are very doable and of course beautiful. It a riot picking out solos from other instruments too! Also, all these solo's are pretty much single note solo's and not chord solo's so they fit in your criteria. You can check it out here and see what you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHx8HID9bU

dMHx8HID9bU

I'm thinking about doing "If You Could See Me Now" by Wes Montgomery off of the album Smokin' At The Half Note.

Then do that one! That whole album's great. I did Wes's "No Blues" solo a few years ago.

Another player to look into for relatively easy solos with no chords, and who usually plays over standards or blues is Grant Green.

• Members

Then do that one! That whole album's great. I did Wes's "No Blues" solo a few years ago.

Another player to look into for relatively easy solos with no chords, and who usually plays over standards or blues is Grant Green.

Yeah, there are some killer Grant Green tracks you could play... on the album "Solid" there is a SMOKIN' band, with McCoy Tyner, James Spaulding, Joe Henderson, Elvin Jones and (I think) Richard Davis on bass.... On that album, Grants' playing is primarily pentatonic based, but he really coaxes great jazz phrasing out of the blues scale and symmetrical patterns associated with the pentatonic fingering....

Another great album you could transcribe off of that is in a similar vein (simpler phrasing and quite blues oriented for the most part) is Kenny Burrell's album, Soleo... There are ome KILLER tunes on there that are pretty easy, guitarist friendly (to get you started) and really go a long way to get your PHRASING to be more jazzy, in the context of scales you are probably very familiar with....

Good luck!!

• Members

Yeah I just got done doing a Grant Green tune. "You Stepped Out of a Dream" on Standards. Miles might be a good route to go. The Wes tune I mentioned is in a different key than is standard but that just means I'll have to do some transposing.

What album is Mile's version of "Dear Old Stockholm" on? I've got tons of Miles in my catalogue but not that one.

• Members

Yeah I just got done doing a Grant Green tune. "You Stepped Out of a Dream" on Standards. Miles might be a good route to go. The Wes tune I mentioned is in a different key than is standard but that just means I'll have to do some transposing.

What album is Mile's version of "Dear Old Stockholm" on? I've got tons of Miles in my catalogue but not that one.

I look up that version of DOS, it'll take me a bit though as I need to run out of the office right now, as well as there being a number of version across different albums. Worse case scenario is I'll send you a copy as it's for educational use.

In the meantime you could also record/capture the youtube audio onto your computer. The fidelity wouldn't be the best but there's not a lot of fast riffs going on so it would work to get you started.

I'll be back.

• Members

In the meantime you could also record/capture the youtube audio onto your computer. The fidelity wouldn't be the best but there's not a lot of fast riffs going on so it would work to get you started.

I'll be back.

For that just google "youtube to mp3", youll find plenty of online converters.

Im looking for some easy solos as well, but for standards, and easy solos that outline the changes. What would you recommend?

• Members

That version of Dear Old Stockholm is found on The Best of Miles Davis album, not sure where the original is from. Anybody can get a decent version of it here:

http://www.myspace.com/milesdavis/albums/the-best-of-miles-davis-9525536

I'll PM you a link to an mp3 of the tune. And if I find where the original came from I'll let you know too.

The converters are good, but youtube compressed stuff so much what you end up with is a converted file of a compressed to crap file. But in a pinch you use what you can get your hands on for sure.

• Members

For that just google "youtube to mp3", youll find plenty of online converters.

Im looking for some easy solos as well, but for standards, and easy solos that outline the changes. What would you recommend?

If you're looking for guitar solos that outline the changes, Charlie Christian is a great place to start, too... Or any of the other musicians in those bands... Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton... Those guys are pretty burnin' too, though... Charlie is the least "technical" of the bunch, simply because of where the guitar was, evolution-wise, in comaprison with clarinet, vibraphone, etc.

Miles never struck me as an "outline the changes" kind of a player.. He hits chord tones, to be sure... but he is more a pure melody guy... I think the more proper bebop guys really hit the changes more, but that style may be a bit too fast and furious (like say, Sonny Stitt, Charlie Parker, Bud Poweel, etc.) Liek I said, a Charlie Christian tune may be just the ticket... Or Django, Eddie Lang, maybe some old Jimm Hall stuff (when he played with Sonny Rollins... and then again, come to think of it SONNY ROLLINS himself...)

There are so many different things to choose from... What I would ultimately do, if I were you, is pick a song you actually like and want to learn... Not learning it because of certain criteria or whatnot... I am sure you can find something that answers all the criteria while still maintaning a mental and musical stimulation for you that will make you want to learn it and will make wrestling with adversities much easier to take....

Good luck, brother!!

Archived