Picking Accuracy Part 5: Al Di Meola's Golden Suite Dawn, palm muting

• Members

Picking Accuracy Part 5: Al Di Meola's Golden Suite Dawn, palm muting

USE A METRONOME!!!

This is still my favorite Di Meola line on electric guitar.

It's a combination of open funk strumming and tight right and left hand muting. Again, the riff is strict alternate picking (after the pickup note at the beginning).

This one will force you to slow down, I'm SURE of it. It'll show you how accurate you are, and aren't.

a64QiMb1Vcc

SuiteGoldenDawn-small.jpg

(I notice I say "OK..." a lot in this vid...mmmkay)

• Members

Let me know how it goes. It's not easy, just work with a metronome. Even slow that riff feels great to play. I play it A LOT slow. I think when I mess with it I play it slow about 75% of the time and only up to speed 25% of the time. I think I dig the groove more than what's going on technically.

• Members

Mike,

I can't figure out the beat of that triple-triple in the middle of the second bar! I listen to you over and over and it sounds so easy, but when I try to play the A-G-F--E-G it just doesn't seem right. How does that parse? If I could slow it down more maybe I could get the beat right. Is there an MP3 on your site?

• Members

mh, here's links for the midi file ...

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks... the midi at half speed clarified it perfectly! I can get up to 104 bpm so far; it's going to take me a while to get up to your starting place of 122! :facepalm: But it's a good thing to practice on. Thanks

• Members

Thanks... the midi at half speed clarified it perfectly! I can get up to 104 bpm so far; it's going to take me a while to get up to your starting place of 122!
:facepalm:
But it's a good thing to practice on. Thanks

It isn't easy that for sure, and I've been playing that thing since I was a kid though, and that's a LONG time ago ;) Just take it slow for however long you need to...that's how I do it.

It's still hit and miss for me to play it at Al's speed. Someday's I can, some I can't. It's a MF'er!

Also, if you've never heard the full tune you need to check it out, right after the part he does into this crank chord riff, and then when he solo's...holy smokes, classic Al!!!! Plus Jaco Pastorious is on bass, and I think Steve Gadd on drums, it's been a while since I looked at the credits.

• Members

By the way, I noticed you have the trumpet solo from Miles Davis So What transcribed on your website. FYI it's also transcribed in GuitarTechniques May 2010, with backing track! Actually, he's transcribed 5 versions, from Miles, Grant Green, Ronny Jordan, Larry Carlton, and George Benson.

• Members

By the way, I noticed you have the trumpet solo from Miles Davis So What transcribed on your website. FYI it's also transcribed in GuitarTechniques May 2010, with backing track! Actually, he's transcribed 5 versions, from Miles, Grant Green, Ronny Jordan, Larry Carlton, and George Benson.

That's cool. You should post the backing.

Personally, there's nothing like the real thing when it comes to that tune. All of those guys have done it under the name So What as well as other names...I think JUST to release it two or three times in their career. That progression is perpetual...it will never stop :)

The transcription I did is actually Bert Ligon's transcription for trumpet. I got permission from him to transcribe it for guitar and make it public. I also have permission to do a guitar transcription for his transcription of Miles' Straight No Chaser solo. One of these day, one of these days.

I do have a number of the solo's on that album transcribed out, but Bert's was so formal and charted completely that it was a deadringer to throw my tab against.

Archived