Progression to create hours of challenging fun

gennation

• Members

This is a progression for the head and solo section for a tune I had to play on for a CD project with a friend...

||: F7susb9 | F7susb9 | Bbm7 | Bbm7 | Gb/Db | Bmaj#11| F7susb9 | F7susb9 :||

| Bbm11 | Bbm11 | Gbmaj#11 | Gbmaj#11 | Emaj#11 | Emaj#11 | Db | Db | Bmaj7 | Cm7b5 F7#9 | Bbm7 Gbmaj7 | Eb7 | Eb7 | Ebm7 | Ab7sus4 | Bbm11 | Bbm11 | C7#9 | C7#9 :|| back to the top and repeat

I thought you might dig it for it extreme fretboard adventure.

And right now I'm revisiting this song as it's nominated for a local music award and we've been asked to play it for the award ceremony and the leader wants to play this tune with extended solo's this time, WHEW!!! So, I'm trying to get to the point to where I have a couple of pretty solid melodic ideas but can also improv freely over it at least 4-8 times. No easy task.

You can here the track from the CD here, it's song #9, named Heartside Park:

http://www.myspace.com/stevetalagamusic/music/albums/heartside-sketches-16589696

NOTE this CD track (the whole album actually) was recorded live with no overdubs allowed, we did all 11 tracks in a about 7 hours! So, you can hear where we all have small rough spots improv'ing over this, but the leader want it this way...IOW "give me what you got right now, and forever live with it". Unfortunately the engineer thinned the crap out of my sound, arrrg!!! I had a nice fat creamy sound going, I mean how could you play a Les Paul with THAT sound?!?! His choice I guess. Anyways...

The head/chord chord progression starts about 1:05 into it. The solo section follows using the same progression. There's some pretty killer solo stuff for sure.

I've also attached a sterile clip of the solo section from a MIDI file. Go ahead and loop it, and have fun with it, it's a riot and a bitch at the same time!!!

Good luck!

If there's interest I can cover some of the theory behind it in a follow up comment but first of all give it a try and see what YOU find.

Also, there's are a ton of great musical moments on that entire CD if you're in the mood for some fusion.

• Members

Hey Mo,

Yes, it is. You can use that clip I attached and loop it in transcribe or even Windows Media Player. That's something the that was sent to me as part of the original project.

Only thing to note, the F7susb9, should probably be written as F7b9sus4. As the b9 is not the replacement for the 3rd. It's more of an altered chord. One of the fun parts is when those first 8 bars repeat, because you start the progression right where you ended, on the altered or rootless dim7 chord (if viewed from the 5 of F7b9, meaning Cdim7).

There's a lot of ways to chop away at this from breaking it down move by move or learning how to get "mostly" one scale to cover the whole thing.

I look at it several individual ways, and then all together. Having to play over it for 4+ times is a good challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thx JP. Its a good one for sure. To get through it it'll take some time working out the details, after that its pretty easy to break it out to a couple simple concepts that allow the ability to play freer through it without needing to be too conscience of all the details.

If you ever get around to making a rhythm track post it up for sure.

Actually, just for the record, I mis-spoke about the F7b9sus4, it can thought of as a Cm7b5. From here Locrian could be the I scale :) And then if you resolve that sus4 to the M3, there is the dim7 chord, as biewed from C that is. So you have the Cm7bd which is the IIm7b5 or Cdim7 which I really a sub for the V7 of the Key Bb, F7 being the V7 of Bb.

When you view the F7b9sus4 chord as a Cdim7 chord and add in the C7#9 turnaround chord it produces two dim7 arps a half step apart. It creates a really nice sound at the resolve.

• Members

Thanks Cary!

The performance is tomorrow night. I'm at the point now where I can blow through it about 6 times with the speed adjusted to 110% on Transcribe. I still wish I had another week to rehearse as I really only copped a free playing vibe for it over the last couple of days, and had limited practice time, lessons tonight, work tomorrow, then straight from work to the stage. So where I'm at now is what I'm bring to the gig.

NOTE On tough tunes I'll always rehearse the parts to where I can play it at a 10%-20% faster speed than the recording is played at. I do this to make it seem slower and very manageable at the normal pace. This also helps me get ahead of the game and compensates for drummers who speed things up when they play live. Although, the drummer tomorrow night is a world seasoned drummer and he'll be locked right where the groove should be.

Archived