Hello and thanks.

• Members

Hi, mostly I post on the acoustic forum, I learnt a lot there..about guitars, tonewoods, bracing action etc etc.

About 4 years ago a friend turned me on to Bert Jansch, Renbourn. Before that it was all Ramones, Patti Smith, Clash, Dead Kennedys New Model Army, political punk.

Anyway I heard Anji, Chambertin Tinkers blues among others, my friend who introduced them to me also played guitar, rather well. Well that was it, I had to try and learn.

Got a cheap Yam which sounded harsh, a beaten up old Simon and Patrick followed, many string choices, saddles etc had me obssessing about tone...

Well I had to sell my S6 and a couple of months later a Tanglewwod found its way to me...Martin 80/20 strings and...voila no harshness an inspiring tone..

I got it so cheap, the neck was a ski ramp, anyway I tightened the truss rod, it was so loose, waited three days tightened a little more... hmmm a little pressure detected, right off to my man for a set up/evaluation.

It came back with DR Rares on it, a little less defined but...I can go anywhere and no wolftones/buzzing, what an inspiring insight.

Anyway, I now realize, three years on, that I am just starting out.

I practise in classical position and am now concentrating on technique and learning the neck. Im a contractor so I have periods when I can practise for a few hours a day then nothing for a while. My Yamaha is going in the back of my van soon so I can practice at lunchtine etc so Im past that problem.

Well...thats me so far, just thought Id introduce myself and say thanks that you guys take the time to post such information. Ill be honest, most of it is way above my head. probably will be for a while but..once I know parts of the neck I have this feeling my practice routine wont be so staccato..? for everyone around, they are pretty patient, even so, theres a limit.

Sorry for rambling on so.....andy

• Members

Ramble on, mate.....

I wish more here would.....just ramble on....about what they're doing, how they see it.....the whole thing.

I reckon a personal ramble can be worth a dozen "lessons".

Good luck.

PS....I lived in North Devon for five years.......Barnstaple......1988 to 1993. Nice people....severe rain......that's what pushed me away in the end :eek:.

If any of the old crowd are reading.....I miss you!

• Members

Barnstaple, weird, thats where I am. Grew up in ilfracombe, travel for work. 88-93 was in London and Southampton. Came back most weekends. Did you ever go to the Anchor in Westward Ho..Vibe Tribe, Cult Maniax, Jive Turkey, Circle of Hands, Bates Motel..bring back any memories..?

• Members

The Anchor....in Westward Ho!....yup! Meet people from anywhere but Devon :).

(Don't forget that exclamation mark.....the only town name in Britain that has one, I believe).

Yes....lots of windy days.........lost in time and space and inclination....the charm of North Devon!

I love the way the trees on the Atlantic coast veer over at 45 degrees......very windy! And the way the locals use first person singular for the third....."She likes it a lot, do Pam".

Don't ask......

Local people somewhat tribal, but that's the same in most places in Britain.

Did Devon....mud like magnetism!

• Members

I was a traveller....not really New Age....just me with a Morris Minor. The New Age travellers were weedy, running home every time the going got tough.

Morris Minor people rely on their sense of powerful belief................

:).

Archived