Knob Boxes: Is Behringer's the best value??

• Members

I'm in the market for a MIDI Knob box... I've got a Nord G2 and my DAW that I would like to control mainly...

I'd like as many knobs as possible in the $100 and under club. 32 knobs and 16 buttons via USB is pretty hard core and would be perfect, I was just wondering if anyone has any other, more affordable solutions?

I wouldn't mind building my own, I have SOME Soldering knowledge and could solder point A to point B, but I couldn't etch my own boards or anything like that.

Ideally I'd be able to spend about $50 and get what I want... but maybe this is unreasonable... At any rate, I'm just wondering if there was any other options... Thanks!

• Members

I think the Behringers are the least expensive, and even those are over $100.

I managed to find a used Peavey PC1600x for $75 that was missing a fader cap. I just avoid that fader and the rest works fine. Of course the Peavey has faders not knobs, so this doesn't help you. ;)

You might want to check out this page on GearJunkies for research.

You can find some of the Evolution knob boxes on eBay for pretty inexpensive prices.

• Members

evolution x-session; 89 bucks new if you are a student... 16 knobs, 1 (cross)fader, 20 buttons at least 10-12 of which are on/off toggle controllers... it ain't bad for what it does.

I did not realize this when I ordered it but with the x-session you get an additional MIDI-over-USB interface, with IN and OUT that can coexist peacefully with your existing MIDI setup. I have used this when I needed extra MIDI i/o to run my Nord Modular editor while syncing my regular MIDI gear, and it worked flawlessly. nice bonus!

Archived