• Members

e | e | e

c#| b | d#

a | a | b

f# | f# | f#

Alright youse blokes, from the skinny string down,

is this A6/A6sus2/Badd11

What else could it be ?

With no info on bass notes, I'd say the first chord is more likely F#m7 than A6, but either name is fine.

The second one I'd call B7sus4, because it has all the requisite notes (B E F# A), just in an unusual order. I don't really like the "6sus2" chord name - although it's theoretically valid here (those 4 notes could be interpreted that way, nothing missing), it's a very rare symbol (I don't think I've ever seen a "6sus2" in any published song), and it wouldn't normally work as an extended A chord - unless there was a clear A bass in support.

"F#m11" is also OK; it's not complete - no C# or G#, but those notes (5th and 9th) are optional anyway.

The point being that this is an ambiguous collection of notes, with no definite aural root: it's a toss up between A and B as to which is the stronger, acoustically.

So the names A6sus2, F#m11 and B7sus4 are all technically as good as one another. IMO it sounds most like one of the last two. But it could also be a rootless D69, a partial Em11 or Gmaj13...

The 3rd chord is Badd4 or Badd11. The B major triad is pretty clear, with E as the added note. IMO, either "4" or "11" is OK, but others may have different views on that.

Again, it could be part of a bigger chord, such as Emaj9 - but you would need a definite low E bass note to confirm that, and ideally a G# too.

Archived