Want to start using metronome. Any reccommendations/tips?

• Members

I want to start using a metronome to work on my time.

Are they pretty much all the same or does it make sense to ask for recommendations for a specific type?

Do people just use it to sound once each beat, or does it work for subdividing beats too? I'm guessing you could just set it to pretty slow and count each chime as an eighth or sixteenth note if you wanted to?

For the most part, metronomes are all the same, and for most purposes, all you need is something to click out the beat. Some metronomes or metronome apps will also subdivide the beat, which can be useful if you're focusing on that sort of thing.

How you interpret the clicks is up to you. The standard starting point is to hear the clicks as quarter notes (i.e., the beat). But you can also set it faster to be subdivisions, or slower so it's only clicking every two beats, or every three beats, and so on.

For example:

Metronome at 120 = this could be quarter notes at 120, or eighth notes for a tempo of 60, or half notes for a tempo of 240.

My favorite metronomes are the blue Korg metronome for a physical, portable metronome, and Time Guru and Mobile Metronome apps for Android/iPhone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-MR500-Metronome/dp/B0002F6ZJI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1345820582&sr=8-7&keywords=metronome
It's plenty loud, but you can tape over a bit of the speaker if it's too loud.
Also, best thing about it is that it's not a "tone" - I think some metronomes use a tone that might sound odd depending on what key you're playing.
I think it is being discontinued, so may be hard to get in the future.
Hope it helps.
Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Report back and and let us know when you're finished
:)

Great video. Man can that guy groove or what! These principles can be applied to practising on any instrument. I used to own a Korg MA-30 which was fine. You need to choose one which allows you to subdivide the beat as it makes it easier to practise in different styles.

Archived