GX7 - Yamaha DX7 to Modular G2 Conversion Tool

Unfed

• Members

Introduction

How many times you have desired to convert your old Yamaha DX7 sounds to your new Clavia Nord Modular G2? Clavia gave us a good starting point, including FM Operators and a DX Router as modules. Each parameter is here, ready to be tweaked to achive our beloved DX sounds. But how tedious is tweak all those parameters manually?

People starts asking for a tool that helps G2 users to load Yamaha patches into their new G2 synthesizer but, until now, nothing was created.

This tool let you load any Yamaha DX7 SysEx bank and let you send patch parameters as Midi CC# to your G2 synthesizer. There are some limitations that don

• Members

Aha! I was wondering what the first outcome of the decoding of the G2 patch file format was going to be. I wonder how good a job it does with parameter values.

I need to implement it as a python library so I can do cool G2 stuff as well.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by packrat

Aha! I was wondering what the first outcome of the decoding of the G2 patch file format was going to be. I wonder how good a job it does with parameter values.

It has nothing to do with decoding the Patch fromat. It works using Midi CC#.

The parameter values of the DX7 and the G2 are the same, unlike DX7 and the Classic. The DX7 module is a complete emulation of the Yamaha Operator.

It is said the Nord Modular G2 is the only synthesizer which can sound the same as the DX7.

Wout

• Members

Originally posted by Wout Blommers

It has nothing to do with decoding the Patch fromat. It works using Midi CC#.

Oh yes, oops. Jumped the gun.

The parameter values of the DX7 and the G2 are the same, unlike DX7 and the Classic. The DX7 module is a complete emulation of the Yamaha Operator.

The FM module, you mean? It's an interesting enough idea, I suppose. Although you'd find that different algorithms (was that the word?) would make the patch fiddly. What exactly do you mean by 'same parameter values' ?

It is said the Nord Modular G2 is the only synthesizer which can sound the same as the DX7.

People say a lot of things.

They should use the g2 patch decoder to do this properly including algorithm setup, then they can throw away all the mix/selectors that they would have to be using now to implement algorithms.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by packrat

What exactly do you mean by 'same parameter values' ?

Are you using the Nord Modular G2?

The FM Operator is a combination of OscPM+EnvMulti+LevScaler modules, only in the Operator module the values are 0>99, unlike normal Clavia values 0>127. The first is the same as on the Yamaha DX7, so if you want you can set all parameters by hand :)

Of course there are more differences between the modules.

Wout

• Members

Originally posted by Wout Blommers
Are you using the Nord Modular G2?

Yup, but obviously not using the FM stuff enough :)

The FM Operator is a combination of OscPM+EnvMulti+LevScaler modules, only in the Operator module the values are 0>99, unlike normal Clavia values 0>127. The first is the same as on the Yamaha DX7, so if you want you can set all parameters by hand
:)

Of course there are more differences between the modules.

Nifty, I shall investigate it further.

Thanks,

B>

Archived