The Dears - Who are you,... chord progression (chorus)

Mygal

• Members

Hi everyone,

Could I have your attention for a moment please?

Thank you. smile.gif

I just finished the transcription of the song Who Are You, Defenders Of The Universe by the Dears.

[ATTACH]350475[/ATTACH]

I still need to change some details like the rhythm strokes and whatnot however it's the chord progression of the chorus that is giving me some doubt. The progression I hear is the following: Bm - C - Em - C.

Nothing overly complicated but I have the feeling that the fourth chord could be something different or just a variation of the C major chord.

Anyway what do you think? Also, any other suggestion or critique of my transcription is welcome as well.

That's the right chord progression. The "extra" thing that you're hearing on the C chord is the electric guitar part playing the arpeggiated chords. The chord voicing in that part is C major, but with an F# add on top (making it Cadd#4, though if you include the 7th, which fits really well here, it's the far more common Cmaj7(#11) chord). The guitar voicing, from low to high, is G C E F#. In a couple spots the F# is bent up to a G and back and forth a few times.

• Members

So, this would be the "extra" thing? I know there's an F# added to the Em chord during the acoustic solo (around 2'40'') and maybe during the chorus as well but I wasn't sure whether this note was added to the fourth C chord or not. But your analysis sounds about right. Thanks man.

Archived