Hex pickups - is copeland completely gone?

slight-return

• Members

you guys remember the copeland pickups?

they were "standard format" magnetic pickups (as opposed to Roland hex pickups for driving synths, etc) that were used more for individual string balancing, panning, etc (I seem to remember Hamer and maybe a few others having stereo guitars using these)

I think the last time I saw them was maybe 2001 or so and even then, I think it was direct-buy only

Is copeland completley gone?

• Members

Mark Smart has a site where he talks about Copeland seemingly folding business in 2003 sometime:

http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/jazzpedalboard/copeland.html

You can see Smart's fancied up Ibanez Artist/looping rig at his page too, pretty cool.

He's a "jazz looping" artist although you'll see the "jazz LOPING" mispelling with an animated gif that cracked me up.

• Members

Bartolini used to make Hex PU's in a P.A.F. form factor too

and there was Sound Garage out of Japan they made a Roland GK-2A compatible P.A.F. form factor PU. - but they are gone too.

so its left to search in the used channel/ebay to source the above.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Bartolini used to make Hex PU's in a P.A.F. form factor too

and there was Sound Garage out of Japan they made a Roland GK-2A compatible P.A.F. form factor PU. - but they are gone too.

so its left to search in the used channel/ebay to source the above.

Hey Elantric, you sure have a good memory. :)

This is one thing I hope some industrious people remedy, and some new products emerge which catch on... Magnetic hex pickups that fit humbucker or single coil format are the only really good way to hide a non-piezo system on a guitar. I like magnetic hex pickups because they have certain benefits over piezo... Try to dive bomb on your piezo equipped guitar, for instance...

• Members

There's always the GK3 route...

hacked a GK-1 years ago (I'm a 24 pin dino), but didn't sound too great and didn't have good discretion if you moved it away from right by the bridge (I mean, I expect some cross-talk as you've just got greater string excursion, but the GK-1 really sucked for it - not a knock on it, just not made for the purpose)

• Members

I like magnetic hex pickups because they have certain benefits over piezo... Try to dive bomb on your piezo equipped guitar, for instance...

then again, try to mag up nylon :p:D

(sorry, had to - got one of those Godin grand nylons with the RMC and like it for that - it's still not a classic guit, but it's abt as close as I could find off-the-shelf)

• Members

Yeah, I think what you're going to need to try is haunt every music store from here to China that specializes in custom parts or search Ebay for a Copeland or Soundgarage and hope that there's still one left on a shelf somewhere that still works.

I know that Roland makes a kit to mount a GK3 internally but that's not quite what you are looking for.

• Members

Yeah, I think what you're going to need to try is haunt every music store from here to China .

not to worry - the wife has a harpsichord and I occasionally play (very poorly) gamba [ so parts is always a nightmare]

so "hex pickup" should be relatively center field :D

Archived