It's time...

MarshallTSL

• Members

Craig,

I think it's time to do a product roundup with detailed reviews on the many hi-tech guitar options we have today.

We can now get an interesting range of guitars that come from the manufacturer with embedded RMC, USB, MIDI, and whatever it is that Moog and Gibson (and Fender with the VG) does. New after-market bridges from Graph-Tech are available that allow us to retrofit Floyd Rose and Tune-o-Matic bridges.

There are now interesting interfaces that allow us to go beyond the realm of whatever Roland orAxon decides to put into a synth. We can now leverage soft synths, rack-mounts and other outboard synth gear.

The world of synth is finally opening up to us regular guitar guys and it's tremendously exciting.

I would see that some of the interesting areas to explore are

* comparitive tracking evaluations between the different pickups,

* effective use of on-instrument controls,

* guitar/computer interfaces and DAW integration,

* foot controllers,

* MIDI mapping (for the guitar guy),

* MIDI automation for synth, amp and outboard effect management and control

* Another interesting thing to consider is the quality and applicability of the sound from various synth modules, keyboards and engines - considering the guitar is the controller.

Anyway, I'm in the process of narrowing down my first synth guitar and am enjoying the hunt tremendously. What's interesting is that I'm giving way more focus on the guitar rather than on the synthesis unit itself. Is the VG99 the only real choice? Is there another way to go? Do I get the RMC-to-MIDI converter and get a Korg or Yamaha 61-key keyboard which would also conveniently give me a keyboard to use? Or what about a Rackmount Synth module?

This is where things get hazy. Picking out a new amp or a new axe is easy in comparison. How do I program everything? How do I control it real-time? Is it giggable? How do I protect it? How do I minimize cabling? Is my guitar amp the right way to deliver synth sounds? If not, what is? And is the answer going to work for both studio and live? How do other guitar players that have adopted synthesis handle their rigs live?

Anyway, hopefully this gives you some ideas. Look forward to your response.

Mark Jasen

• Members

Ill add my 2 cents.

Do you want synthesis or midi conversion? Or both?

They are actually two different things.

Synthesis will take the actual guitar signal and directly manipulate it. Rolands HRM function in their VG is actual guitar synthesis. It has ridiculously low delay, much faster than any midi converter. It doesnt 'track' pitch.

Midi conversion 'track's the signals frequency and converts it to midi.

I agree theres alot of really exciting things for the guitarist who wants to push the limits these days. From electro-harmonix units to guitar modelling devices (rolands vg series and line 6's variax) to midi converters by axon and roland.

Midi wise for pure tracking the axons are the best, but the rolands perform nicely as well. With any midi conversion system expect to alter your playing to minimize excess noise which are otherwise converted to little transient midi notes.

Axon offers a unit that just converts to midi so you can use whatever synth/sampler you like. As does Roland (GI-20 and their flagship vg99 does as well).

As far the vg99 nothing on the market does what it does in terms of extent of features. I have had one for over a year and its replaced my other gear live and in most recording setups. Dual independent complete (guitar, effects, and amp) modelling pathways, HRM synthesis (different than midi conversion), Alternate tuning engines, Midi conversion, tremendous midi control implementation (practically any parameter can be assign to real time controllers), and low latency computer interface functionality.

You can connect the 99 via a single usb cable to a laptop and run audio and midi both directions. This allows the 99 to convert your guitar playing to midi, drive a softsynth/sampler in your laptop, and then output the same softsynth out through the vg99 outputs. OR you can even use a guitar modelling program in the laptop such as Guitar Rig 3 in realtime as another layer of processing and send it out the 99's outs.

No other unit comes close to providing all these feautures.

Dont use a guitar amp to deliver synth sounds. It ends up sounding extremely muffled.

People usually dump on amp modellers because they are playing/hearing them through guitar amps. Guitar amps have a much smaller frequency response range and modellers sound MUCH better through full range systems. The same principle applies to any synth/sampler.

I play through a Traynor k4 keyboard amp live (both guitar and synth/midi tones). Some guitar synth guys play through portable PA speakers or go direct to whatever the house has.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived