Roland VG-99 + GR-33 = awesome

Karma1

• Members

I've owned my GR-33 for about 7 years and really love it. I've tweaked some great sounds on it for the ambient music I create. A couple months ago I traded a vintage guitar for a VG-99 and have been enjoying getting to know it and learn my way around on it. I initially tried going midi from the VG to the GR, but the tracking left a lot to be desired and I quickly gave up on that. Yesterday, I finally picked up a Roland US-20 splitter box that let's me control the VG and GR from the same guitar, and wow, I'm blown away at how great they sound together. The combination of sounds and possibilities are endless. One of my GK-equipped guitars also has a Sustainiac which should only add to the fun. I'll look forward to exploring this more in the coming months and will post some clips eventually.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've found the GR-33 is like candy; a little bit is great, and too much makes you sick. I've had mine for about 7 years too, and I have to put it away for several months at a time. But when its time to come out, it is awesome.

Congrats! The VG-** series are highly underrated, very good sounding tools.

I'm not surprised that you do ambient music. That is about the best application of the GR-33.

• Members

I don't have any clips of this rig all together. I haven't had the VG99 that long and have yet to record with it, although I've used it live quite a bit. I do have some other clips of my music with the GR33 and Sustainiac here:

www.myspace.com/michaeldiamondmusic

The first song on the music player has some guitar synth pads and the "flute" sound in the middle change-up section was from the GR33. The lead guitar in the second half features the Sustainiac. There's also some guitar synth flute on Dream Flight further down in the music player, as well as guitar synth pads on some of the other songs - but lots of keyboard synths too.

Hopefully, I'll get around to recording the GR33 and VG99 together soon. But thanks for asking.

The splitter box is a cool thing, but awefully expensive for what it is. I paid $120 for a used one. New, they are close to $200 - a bit overpriced for such a simple piece of technology.

• Members

Realize the US-20 Price includes Two short GK-13 pin cables which are included with the package when new.

That's true - good point.

Those 13 pin cables are pretty costly themselves.

Luckily the used unit I bought included them. The short ones are next to impossible to find, and the long ones are $25 - $50 each depending on length. I didn't really want the long ones with all that extra cable on the floor.

• Members

I have the VG-99 and GR-33 also, endless possibilities of combined sound.

For grins one day I set them up in stereo out of the PA and took the regular guitar signal out and sent it to a pair of amps working as stereo for a Hughes Ketner RotoSphere...

WALLOFSOUND Awesomeness!! All I could do was sit back and grin.

The only down side to that kind of thing for me is I get lost in tweak land. I can waste multiple hours trying different combinations and when I'm done I don't really remember where I've been just that the journey was beautiful....kind of like heavy drugs only safe, legal, healthy and priced about the same ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had the GR-33 for a while but couldn't really think of many practical applications for it in my setup. It was cool to play with. I have used the VG-88 for a long time, and am kind-of afraid to buy a VG-99, just because I like the sounds I've created on the 88, and am afraid I couldn't exactly re-create them on the 99. The VG-88 is really deep. I've had it since it came out, and feel like I haven't really even scratched the surface of what it will do.

:idk:

• Members

Wow a GK guitar AND a sustainiac??? I've read that that combination of pickups was absolutely incompatible with eachother, that the sustainiac would send endless note-on signals through the GK pickup, rendering the GK entirely useless.

• Members

Wow a GK guitar
AND
a sustainiac??? I've read that that combination of pickups was absolutely incompatible with eachother, that the sustainiac would send endless note-on signals through the GK pickup, rendering the GK entirely useless.

Maybe somebody has encountered that problem but I haven't.

Here is the guitar I mentioned:

PRS.jpg

Archived