New free amp sim from LePou: "HyBrit," a Marshall-inspired sim

Agreed

• Members

LePou is a freeware programmer who has so far made the excellent Soldano-inspired amp sim, SoloC, in two versions, and who also has released what is currently the best freeware cabinet IR loader in LeCab. Now he's added another amp to his lineup, HyBrit, released it over in this thread at GuitarAmpModeling. Don't worry, you don't have to register to download it, it's hosted off-site at his blog, linked right at the top of that thread. But go to that link and check it out, it's a good release thread with info and pictures.

If you're curious how it sounds, the high gain, JCM-based channel sounds like this. Made it pretty quick so it's not as tight as it could be but who cares, listen anyway for the sound of the beast.

stats.png

In addition to this it has a Plexi-inspired channel which sounds great, too. Both have clever features - the Plexi side has blendable Normal and Treble inputs, the JCM side has a switchable boost, and both of them feature an effective and interesting Contour knob to make changes to the "feel" of the patch when dialing in your tone with the regular tone controls. And they both feature LePou's current-gen preamp and power amp modeling technology, too.

Plus, you know, free - the best things in life, as they say.

• Members

On my system, not much of anything at all. But I've got an Intel Q9550 quad that I've OC'd quite substantially, so it's probably not the best benchmark for project studio computers.

LeCab blows Boogex away, though, in my opinion. It loads two IRs, though you have the option to just use one of course; in dual IR mode, it has both Independent and Blend functionality, and mono or stereo operation. Two IRs is really key to getting authentic guitar tones with software, especially for higher gain stuff - everything gets so focused and compressed when you've got a lot of gain going on, to really capture the sound you need to dual mic most of the time, and that holds true with IRs as well.

Archived