Carvin SH575 and the VG-99

ieso

• Members

After some negative reports regarding the SH575 mating poorly with the VG-99 I am happy to report that, so far, no problems and it is working well.

Still need to test the volume of the mag and synth through the 13-pin cable...

I'll keep you posted if anything changes and I'll have a full review later.

http://negation.hoster905.com/negations/Carvin%20SH575/new%20photos/carvin%20sh575.JPG

• Members

The only issues are

* "Piezo Feedback" - only aparent when you play at very high volume.

* Low Frequency Rumble, mostly on the GR-300 emulations - due to the VG-99 missing the old VG-8's Hi Pass analog front end filter. This can be rectified by installing an RMC Filter board inside the VG-99

Details here:

RMC subsonic filter

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,568.0.html

Installation instructions

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=568.0;attach=1242

Carvin SH-575

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,623.0.html

• Members

The piezo acoustic sounds on this guitar are pure {censored}. But I've never heard piezo acoustic sounds that I like so color me biased. :p

I compared the Carvin 13-pin out to a GK-3 on my G&L and the Carvin shows a buildup of energy from 20Hz-50Hz that is absent from the GK on the above-mentioned synth patches. Might be a problem if you're playing live through the PA but for recording purposes this is easily solved and not really a problem.

So there is some kind of filtering going on in the GK that is not present on the Ghost.

Interestingly, the Carvin is less noisy than the GK on some settings. For example, on a Tele patch the GK has some background hiss that is completely absent from the Carvin's piezo/Ghost system.

There are also fairly significant tonal qualities between the GK and the Carvin. I can't really comment on which is 'better' but the GK on the G&L sound more like, e.g., a Tele than does the Carvin.

If you get a Carvin SH you might consider also getting a GK pup to go on it and switch between the two units for different purposes. Sounds crazy I know but there are real performance and sound differences -- they both seem to have their virtues and vices.

• Members

The piezo acoustic sounds on this guitar are pure {censored}. But I've never heard piezo acoustic sounds that I like so color me biased.
:p

I compared the Carvin 13-pin out to a GK-3 on my G&L and the Carvin shows a buildup of energy from 20Hz-50Hz that is absent from the GK on the above-mentioned synth patches. Might be a problem if you're playing live through the PA but for recording purposes this is easily solved and not really a problem.

So there is some kind of filtering going on in the GK that is not present on the Ghost.

Interestingly, the Carvin is less noisy than the GK on some settings. For example, on a Tele patch the GK has some background hiss that is completely absent from the Carvin's piezo/Ghost system.

There are also fairly significant tonal qualities between the GK and the Carvin. I can't really comment on which is 'better' but the GK on the G&L sound more like, e.g., a Tele than does the Carvin.

If you get a Carvin SH you might consider also getting a GK pup to go on it and switch between the two units for different purposes. Sounds crazy I know but there are real performance and sound differences -- they both seem to have their virtues and vices.

Piezos have a wider frequency range output compared to the magnetic humbuckers in the gk pickup.

The COSM/HRM modelling algorthyms in the vg99 were designed for the frequency range of the gk pickups. The vg99 does have settings for piezo's but without an additional filter on the input jack (such as that made by RMC, or what was included in previous VG systems), you will get a more boomy quality on many patches and additional artifacts on the hrm patches (piezos transfer taps/knocks made to the body of the guitar more than traditional magnetic pickups).

• Members

I noticed that the settings of the VG-99 in terms of what type of pickup being used can effect sound hugely in addition to the setting for bridge distance can

effect some of the acoustic and nylon string effects in terms of realism.

I've actually sometimes set these settings AWAY from the optimum to get a unique unusual tone like a fake music box type sound.

It's amazing but yes, there are HUGE differences to my ears between using magnetic pickups thru the VG99 versus using a GK-3.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just bought a VG-99 and I have a Brian Moore i2.13 with a hexaphonic piezo output. I also have a Roland GK2 pickup which I could mount on my Gibson The Paul II however I would prefer not to drill any holes.

Does anyone now if there is a GK bracket available for Les Paul type guitars and/or a template for building said bracket?

I guess I'll see if the Brian Moore i2.13 with hexaphonic piezo controls the HRM portion of the VG-99 any differently than the GK2 as there does not seem to be consensus on this point.

• Members

I just bought a VG-99 and I have a Brian Moore i2.13 with a hexaphonic piezo output. I also have a Roland GK2 pickup which I could mount on my Gibson The Paul II however I would prefer not to drill any holes.

Does anyone now if there is a GK bracket available for Les Paul type guitars and/or a template for building said bracket?

I guess I'll see if the Brian Moore i2.13 with hexaphonic piezo controls the HRM portion of the VG-99 any differently than the GK2 as there does not seem to be consensus on this point.

My GK2A came with a bracket that you attach the GK onto then you loosen the strap peg at the heel of the guitar, slip the bracket on then tighten up the strap peg. I have it mounted on a PRS Santana SE, and I'd imagine it would fit a Les Paul as well. Very easy and no drilling.

Archived