POD vs. AdrenaLinn

Kungsgeten

• Members

I had an adrenalinn, and an m-audio black box, and I have a pod X3 live now. They are two completely different boxes, imho.

I played a completely different guitar when I had the adrenalinn (jackson jdr-94 vs. the variax I have now, neither are really high end but both are decent), so I can't compare the guitar tones directly. However, the guitar emulation is supposedly the same in the Black Box as the adrenalinn (and I would say they sounded similar too, for adrenalinn III and on at least... the original adrenalinn I/II sounded quite different).

For the amp modeling, I'm going based on the Black Box I had... the original black box had the I/II amp modeling, then they upgraded it to Reloaded (free firmware update), which gave 40 amp models + compressor + reverb. With the new ones, the amp modeling on both is good enough to be a matter of taste.

The adrenalinn kills on weird effects. It's got a few that the Pod doesn't have, specifically LP/BP/HP filtering effects, and midi/bpm syncable effects. It also has a built-in drum machine which can be useful for jamming. The compressor is useful, the normal effects are OK, and the reverb is not that great.

But pretty much on every other category, the X3 wins. Some of it doesn't really matter (how many amp models do you really need after all?). And not everyone will use the more simultaneous effects. But the X3 comes in a floorboard, which is nice. It has separate monitor and main outputs which are completely controllable. It has a master parametric EQ to tweak against whatever you're playing through. It is 100 times easier to use with the large LCD (imho). You get dual tone mode (not on the XT) which gives you a whole new range of tone possibilities. It has separate amp, cabinet, and stompbox modeling. It has some pretty far-out effects too, though they aren't as useful. And it works with my Variax - a variax + x3 live is a very potent combination. With the push of a switch, I can switch from a strat through a fender blackface, to a LP through an AC30, to an acoustic running through a clean preamp. If you put a full-range PA behind it, it's really nice.

Archived