So I did this song with the VG99 + Kitchen Sink...

aliensporebomb

• Members

VZabQjGHLe8

This was done live to two track and three pairs of stereo audio sources!

-Guitar to Mesa Boogie Studio preamp, Lexicon Vortex and TC Electronic G Sharp in the FX loop then

analog stereo pair into my digital mixer which connects digitally via SP/DIF to my PowerMac G5.

-VG-99 stereo outs to my digital mixer which connects digitally via SP/DIF to my PowerMac G5.

-MIDI out from the VG-99 goes to Midiman Midisport 2x2 then via USB into the PowerMac G5.

-MIDI drives multiple softsynths for bass synth, some atmospheric patches, some percussion and strings.

fullrig.jpg

There's the setup of the rig shortly after recording it.

Enjoy!

• Members

I like it a lot. It has many possibilities for guitar sounds and I'm just a month into ownership of this thing, I've barely scratched the surface it's so deep.

The Roland pickup works well, but then again I've also used Roland hex pickups dating back to 1982 when I had my original G-202/GR-100 synth module setup (it really was a hex guitar setup with filtering but.....).

I initially had misgivings attaching it but it was very easy and if need be I can revert the guitar to stock in probably 10 minutes if need be.

Plus the possibility for having the low E and A a bass sound and the rest a guitar sound means you can sound like a bass and guitar playing together very easily, I did a track like this recently too. Then you can MIDI out from there and "be the rest of the band" if you want.

Talk about empowering. My older music is usually many many layered tracks but I've been doing a bunch of tracks live, three sets of stereo pairs and it just sounds huge and it's totally live. Really great.

• Members

Cool thanks. I'm mainly a synth player so getting midi working decently would be a big plus for me and it seems there is a lot of flexability in the VG as well.

I'm debating about something like the VG vs something like a TC Electronics G system or Nova.

• Members

Very cool - nice job!

I've got some similar, although not exact, equipment in my rig - VG99, Lexicon Vortex, TC Electronic G Major, Mesa Boogie V-Twin preamp, as well as GR33, SMMH, and lots more. I'd be especially interested to know how you use your Vortex. I got mine years ago and used to mess with it, but I haven't done much with it for a while. So anything you care to share about your usage of it, I'd be happy to hear.

Archived