Covering a bunch of Guitar Rig 4 stuff on my blog this week

Agreed

• Members

So Native Instruments has updated their Guitar Rig software to version 4, and added the word Pro to the end of it, which is sort of like cranking an amp to eleven or something. Guitar Rig 4 Pro. And I've got my hands on it, and I'll be spending quite a bit of time on it over at my blog this week, leading up to a review of it for FrugalGuitarist that should go up next Monday (Will Chen, my editor and by far the most benevolent decider a man could ask for, gets the final say on that, of course, but that's my idea for the timeline).

Come on over to the blog if you're interested, link's in my sig. To kick it all off I'm doing a bunch of GR3 vs. GR4 comparisons today, just the amps with their own matched cabinets and then GR3 into the GR4 amp's matched cabinet (so you can hear JUST what the difference between the models themselves is... and yes, that sentence is grammatically correct, "the difference is" as opposed to "themselves are," I feel the need to justify this because I sat there looking at it for thirty seconds before my brain clicked and explained to me why I shouldn't say are).

Here's the first one I did, already up at the blog, to give you an idea of whether it's something you'll want to pay attention to:

Signal path: Guitar -> Rig Kontrol -> Guitar Rig

Clip structure: Single coil for opening chords and some single note runs, then later in the clip switch to humbucker mode for some more overdrive.

Settings:

5x3ek5.png

Guitar Rig 3 AC-Box and its own matched cab:

stats.png

Guitar Rig 3 AC-Box and GR4's matched cab:

stats.png

Guitar Rig 4 AC-Box and its own matched cab:

stats.png

If you guys have specific amp requests let me know, otherwise I'll start with Fender and go from there. Not sure if I'll do ALL of them, but who knows, I might if I have time.

• Members

High gain demo clip is ready.

Two patches, one for rhythm (hard left, hard right) using the Ultrasonic model; one for lead (right down the middle) using the Gratifier model. Settings are as follows:

Rhythm:

4t3kp1.png

Lead:

28kkn7o.png

stats.png

Definitely couldn't get tones like that from Guitar Rig 3. Practically mixed itself, too.

Archived