GR-33 vs GR-20

cincy_cosmo

• Members

Thinking of selling my never used keyboard and getting a guitar synth (again). The vote a few years ago was that the GR-33 was a better box. That still held as true? Does the GR-20 have any advantages other than being current production as opposed to the GR-33 being MD'd long ago?

• Members

As far as I know, the GR20 doesn't have any advantages over the GR33 other than perhaps availability. The 33 is the most advanced guitar synth Roland has made so far, and has way more to offer, especially in terms of editing and tweakability. The 20 is a more stripped down entry-level unit. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it compares to the 33 from all that I've read. I've been using the GR33 since it came out and the only way I would get rid of it is if Roland introduced a new model that was an upgrade.

• Members

I think a major difference is as everyone says, the tweak factor of the Gr 33. IF you are wanting to combine sounds of one patch with another or layer sounds into one patch or get deeper than that, and it has the built in arpeggiator or harmoniser thingies.

The GR-20 is good if you are using stock sounds and don't mind about their not having a huge range of advanced tweakability.

As one user on youtube (and karma1 said above) said, the GR-20 is like a dumbed down GR33.

• Members

Roland is finally making another Guitar Synth that can play different sounds on different strings. Current Roland guitar Synths can only play 2 sounds at once. Imagine the sonic capabilities of playing 32 sounds with your guitar.

The major difference in the GR-20 and the GR-33 is that you can't program 2 different sounds and create a new sound with the GR-20. You can with a GR-33. The GR-33 is a much more powerful Guitar Synth then a GR-20

• Members

Yes! Cause GK-2A hex pickup has six individual string pickups needed to play 6 or more sounds at once. It's very exciting!
:cool:

I only ask because there are glimmers of technology like MusicIQ that seem to be able to process chords, which to me means there may be a way of ripping the seperate string's signals apart.

I'll ask the obvious questions that you may not be able to answer:

Is it going to a be a GR-40?

and

Is it going to be introduced at the Winter Namm?

• Members

is this roland synth a tease stompboxman?

is it real or are you just messing with us cuz i really really hope roland comes through....

if roland can give me just a simple REAL synth with 2 OSC, syncable LFO'S , ASDR for filter , pitch, and amplitude they will get more money from me....if it is a fancy look what this can do preset machine i will just keep on using the vg99 and softsynths.....not that i wouldn't use the vg 99 in conjunction with this rumored roland synth if indeed it turns out to be a true synth

• Members

I Have both the GR-20 and the GR-33. I use the GR-20 on my live gigs and never the GR-33 for one main reason, TRACKING...the GR-33 is more tweakable and has more features but when it came to live performance it just doesn't track even close to the GR-20. too many ghost notes and squawks happen when i use it, and since i am mainly the keyboard player on the group (which means using piano, strings, brasses, etc) I do a lot of chords progressions and melody lines.

I thought tracking was all about the pickup but i was wrong, i have a GK-3 pickup and it tracks so smoothly on the GR-20 and horribly on the GR-33...the tech support guy from Roland confirmed that the tracking has to do more on the unit than the pickup.

I just can't wait for the next GR to come out that has the tracking of the GR-20 (or better) and the editability of the GR-33.

• Members

I Have both the GR-20 and the GR-33. I use the GR-20 on my live gigs and never the GR-33 for one main reason, TRACKING...the GR-33 is more tweakable and has more features but when it came to live performance it just doesn't track even close to the GR-20. too many ghost notes and squawks happen when i use it, and since i am mainly the keyboard player on the group (which means using piano, strings, brasses, etc) I do a lot of chords progressions and melody lines.

I thought tracking was all about the pickup but i was wrong, i have a GK-3 pickup and it tracks so smoothly on the GR-20 and horribly on the GR-33...the tech support guy from Roland confirmed that the tracking has to do more on the unit than the pickup.

I just can't wait for the next GR to come out that has the tracking of the GR-20 (or better) and the editability of the GR-33.

I believe there are a few other internal parameters on the GR33 that could be affecting your tracking, such as the string sensitivity for each string and the setting for playing style. If you haven't looked into those, it might be worth your while to get better tracking out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The only way i could make it work 50% better (GR-33) was when i retuned everything from the pickup height and yoke and the units string sensitivity and play style. It still was not as smooth as GR-20 but doable. but when i switched back to the GR-20 everything was out of whack. I was smart enough to create markers on how the pickup was setup before i fiddled around with it.

My dilemna is that i just wanted to swap units back & forth in a snap depending on the gig, but if i had to fiddle with my actual pickup height and yoke it would be a bit cumbersome to be plug and play. both units has its own settings to its liking maybe due to the technology difference. but nonetheless the GR-20 did not respond that bad to my GR-33 setup than the GR-33 when tuned to the GR-20's liking.

Archived