Laptop free midi?

instace

• Members

I'm in the midst of building a new guitar and I'm planning on putting a Ghost Hexpander in the little beasty. My main concern is that I'm planning on touring again next year, and my very modest background in MIDI has always involved software/sequencing programs. While I am a computer geek through and through, I know what touring can and will do to a laptop. I don't even take mine to surf the web any more and it's always a prime target for theft. The idea of having to rely on it for a show is frightening at best.

What I'm wondering is if there are any stand alone products right now that will allow me to run from controller to said random device to amp without any need of software in between. Obviously, I'd be playing live so latency issues are pretty major, not that they aren't always major. I'd love the ability to upload samples etc, but even just some solid keyboard tones that I can tweak with other pedals would do me fine. Could I theoretically run from guitar to a midi input on a decent keyboard and then to my amp? If this has already been discussed and I managed to miss it on this forum, could someone point me in the right direction? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for your time!

• Members

I know you can use the Roland VG99 to send the midi it receives from your guitar, or more precisely, the note info that it receives and turns into midi....

But latency can be there depending on what you try to control/trigger.

The same with the Roland Gr33 or GR20 guitar synths.

I've heard that Axon makes a better system if triggering outboard devices is your goal, don't know if it is true but I've also read about people building their own guitars and incorporating the Axon hardware into them basically buying an Axon guitar and taking the guts out to put in their new build.

Oh, also, search is screwed on this forum so to search it go to google to search the web and type in the following: site:acapella.harmony-central.com followed by a space and then whatever words you want to search for and you'll get a list of all the threads on your topic.

Here's the result of a search on "Axon" click here

• Members

Simply installing a Ghost Hexpander will not get you MIDI.

You still need a "GTR to MIDI" adapter.

like these

Roland GI-20

Axon AX-50

Roland VG-99

I recommend contact Alto Music www.altomusic.com, and get a Roland VG-99.

It provides a wealth of zero latency tones, and can easily drive other hardware synth modules - like the Roland SonicCell, or Yamaha Motif Rack via 5 pin MIDI.

• Members

So the Hexpander is not a controller? I'm confused now, what does it do? I was under the impression that I was installing a 5 pin output in my actual guitar. Where are my ones and zeros coming from? I realize I need a separate sequencing system for tones etc, but is the bridge to hex system, not basically a pitch tracker/midi converter?

Archived