Midi Bass Questions ?????????????

slappymcfinkles

• Members

Ok my band has been playing a bunch of newer dance stuff (not really my thing but what ever pays is fine with me) and my bass player is thinking about adding a midi set up to the bass for keys or other weird filler sounds. I'm sure someone out there can let me know what we need and don't need to make this work. I don't have a clue and just for reference I play through an old Black Face Fender Twin and use analog effects so I'm kind of old school. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

• Members

Hi,
I'm Al, the crazy bass player that's wanting to do this. I'm like Mike and have never ventured much past tube amps into higher technology, so this is all new to me. Mike has a Roland Midi pickup for a guitar. Would that work on a bass?

Thanks,
Al
Ms. Behavin'!

• Members

I think the string spacing and density of bass strings compared to a regular guitars strings would be the death of any attempt to get a guitar pickup to track properly if it was installed on a bass guitar.

Another option is just get a cheap synth and practice a little until you can fire of bassline riffs on the synth with one hand (it's a blast to do). Just set it up near your place on the stage and alternate playing both the synth and the bass guitar...

Hey you double your role in the band you get double the paycheck...right?!? ;)

• Members

Ooh, just had a look at how much that stuff costs! Might have to take 2 shares of the gigs! LOL!

Lol, that's why I mentioned a cheap synth! On the other hand it is a lot of fun once you get it all working and seeing the people look for the keyboard player is kind of fun at first...until they ask you between sets if you are playing to a backing track.

Archived