Getting started

diamond_sea

• Members

Hey, I'm sure some of this has been covered before but I'm new (to this forum as well as to high-tech guitar). I just got a Roland GK-3 hex pickup, GI-20, and Saffire Firewave audio interface. I plan to plug these into my Macbook and work with Max/MSP. I just wanted some opinions on some of these naive questions:

i) Is there an 'ideal' type of guitar to use with this gear, e.g. one with a louder or brighter sound, or does it just work the same as any other kind of guitar playing? I have a Hondo 945 Deluxe and an old Hamer hollow-body. I know neither is a top-of-the-line guitar but I don't know if it matters which one I set up with the hex pickup.

ii) Is it really important for me to get my guitar set up before even trying to set up the GK-3 on it? I'm eager to start but I don't know if it will be difficult to remove the equipment when I want to set up the guitar for recording or performance. I also don't know how badly this will affect the performance of the MIDI equipment.

Thanks

• Members

I. I don't know if there is an ideal guitar for this kind of use. I've seen GK pickups mounted on Strats more than any other guitar, but not exclusively. I've had mine on a Strat, a Fernandes Revolver Pro, and currently on a PRS Santana SE.

II. It shouldn't be necessary for you to remove the GK for recording or performance. You can just leave it there. As far as mounting the GK control housing there are three ways I know of: you can actually bolt it to the guitar, or you can use double sided adhesive. The third way is in my opinion the best - my GK pickup came with a metal mounting bracket that attaches to the strap lock. You just loosen the screw on the strap lock, slip the bracket over the screw, and tighten. It's the easiest, quickest, and least intrusive to the guitar's finish.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The gk should have also come with a part for les paul type guitars...if not you probably can order it from roland. I sed it on a paul and a strat and it worked very well on both. I did, however purchase a godin acs nylon synth ready guitar and the tracking is better.

Archived