Scale length and tracking

aclarke

• Members

Pitch to MIDI detection latency will always be higher the lower the frequency. Scale length plays no part in pitch to MIDI detection latency.

To avoid Pitch to MIDI detection latency you need to use the Axon AX100 Mark II or AX50 USB as they rely on the initial transient so all notes have the same detection latency.

I have the Axon AX100, Roland GR30 and Roland VG-99

• Members

I have had more effect with tracking by experimenting with string gauges and pick density.

For instance, generally on my "normal" guitars I play 2.0mm picks with 10-46's. However on my midi equipped guitar I play Fender medium picks with 11-48. It seems to track a lot better, and the thinner pick causes the Ghost system to pick up less weird transient tones. I'm very pleased with that transition.

• Members

Pitch to MIDI detection latency will always be higher the lower the frequency. Scale length plays no part in pitch to MIDI detection latency.

Correct.

To avoid Pitch to MIDI detection latency you need to use the Axon AX100 Mark II or AX50 USB as they rely on the initial transient so all notes have the same detection latency.

Wrong.

The Axon system, set for a guitar in regular tuning, gets a MIDI note out in no more than 13mS or not at all. That's just a hair over a single cycle of the low E, where the Roland system takes two cycles minimum in theory, but often more. The Axon's minimum tracking delay on high notes is around 3mS. It is limited by processing speed above approx twelth fret on the high E string.

• Members
Correct.

Wrong.

The Axon system, set for a guitar in regular tuning, gets a MIDI note out in no more than 13mS or not at all. That's just a hair over a single cycle of the low E, where the Roland system takes two cycles minimum in theory, but often more. The Axon's minimum tracking delay on high notes is around 3mS. It is limited by processing speed above approx twelth fret on the high E string.

I am 100% correct, and you are 100% wrong in saying I am wrong :)

I did not say there was no latency I said "To avoid Pitch to MIDI detection latency..."

You need to understand that the Axon does not use Pitch to MIDI detection in initially assessing the note it uses attack transients...different animal as compared to Pitch to MIDI, the Axon does have Pitch to MIDI also but it most often uses this for other purposes such as pitch bend and not for initially assessing the note.

As an aside however, there is a monophonic input on the Axon which does exclusively use Pitch to MIDI, but that's another animal.

• Members

I have a GK2A on a non-Strat guitar. It's a PRS Santana SE and it works fine. Before this I had the pickup mounted on a Fernandes Revolver Pro sustainer guitar and there wasn't room for the pickup to fit between the bridge and the bridge humbucker, so I mounted at the top edge of the bridge humbucker (closer to the neck) and although I know it's not recommended, I had no problems with it like that.

• Members

If I'm not mistaken, Axon holds a patent on the way it does the pitch to midi via transients versus Roland with is using pitch-to-voltage otherwise Roland would probably use a similar method.

True.

There's about five patents that cover it. Very interesting reading, too.

Archived