computer as amp

BMaag

• Members

I just hook my guitar through my computer via a XFI I/O drive and run the speaker out to a 100 watt RCA Home Theater Receiver. I have 6 speakers in my setup. A front,FL,FR,sub and for the left and right i have 2 early 90's Pioneer towers capable of handling 150 watts each..

I use Guitar Rig 4 as my amp modeler

Admittedly Its not mobile or atleast not very mobile but its still kool none the less.

When I was younger, I used to hook a distortion pedal in the aux of a cheap home stereo and played that way:facepalm: We sometimes just have to make do with what we got though

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Otehr guitarist in my band uses a Line 6 POD UX1. we played a show at our school, I brought in my computer, run a long lead out a window from his guiatr to teh input of the UX1, then another from the UX1 to his amp (Marshall MG100watt combo). worked great :) Obviously it woudl be alot easier with a laptop. But it worked well and gave him a lot better sound than his Marshall.

• Members

Is it possible to run my guitar through an amp simulator on my macbook and then run the macbook through a cabinet? The idea is to use my laptop like an amp head.

Well, you'd need a power amp between the laptop and the speakers, and I hope you like the sound of your tone being DI'd.

I'd avoid it to be honest, buy a Line 6 toneport, I hear they're great for recording, or a Line 6 pod pedalboard version and you can have all your tones for recording and live situations.

Alternitavely get an amp, mic it up and run that into your computer.

Though if you're just wanting to use your computer as an amp head, I can't be of much help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I play thru Guitar Rig 3 thru my KRK 6's all the time, sounds pretty damn good also.

Provided your audio interface has a low latency setting it should be fine. Easier than firing up an amp for bedroom use, plus so many tones at your finger tips an low volumes.

Archived