HD147 vs. Flextone III

iMpreno

• Members

So, I have a very small budget to spend on an amp that is both capable of going into the PA and moving actual speakers, so on the italian equivalent of Craigslist I found, for the same price (read carefully below the reason for the pricing) an used Flextone III 1x12 and a BROKEN HD147, which has issues, the guy told me, to the input tranny or some other sort of input powering issue that doesn't concern anything else inside the amp, so solving that problem would get me a perfectly new amp, basically.

My questions are:

- Is the HD147, overall and soundwise, better than the Flextone? I'd use it to play industrial rock and ambient.

- Line6 wants 150EUR to fix the HD147, if the problem is something that only the company can fix, would it be a wise choice to get the HD147 anyway? (I'd pay it 200EUR shipping included).

Thanks in advance :)

• Members

If you like thin and fizzy, get the HD147. If you want muddy and unclear, get the Flextone III. ;)

I don't like either amp and I think both will have trouble cutting through in a live band situation but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I'd get the Flextone if you're playing Industrial because it can do sparkly ambient cleans and has more effects but can also get heavy, while the HD147 is mainly geared towards high-gain.

But really, I'd try to find both amps somewhere and play them before making a decision if it's at all possible.

• Members

If you like thin and fizzy, get the HD147. If you want muddy and unclear, get the Flextone III.
;)

I don't like either amp and I think both will have trouble cutting through in a live band situation but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I'd get the Flextone if you're playing Industrial because it can do sparkly ambient cleans and has more effects but can also get heavy, while the HD147 is mainly geared towards high-gain.

But really, I'd try to find both amps somewhere and play them before making a decision if it's at all possible.

I'm not a big fan of modeling amps too, but I'm in a very particular band situation and this sort of equipment is really the only way to go at the moment. And the fact that I live in an apartment with other guys makes the balanced output a pretty comfortable tool for practising and home recording without risking any sort of problem with the neighbors (and the law :cop:).

I need mainly heavy sounds, and I don't need realistic simulations; at the contrary, some sort of dirty, synthetic and over the top sound would be the ideal. Crunch I wouldn't use that much, clean a lot more but I don't care about it much since I'd use it only for heavily processed sounds (and fuzz), so I'd only care about volume.

The only thing that is puzzling me is that I'd also want a versatile reaharsing machine to use in any situation, but maybe I want too much out of a such little expense.

Archived