Anyone used an Eventide Pitch Factor?

Karma1

• Members

I've always been interested in the Eventide Harmonizers, but their expense has been out of my price range. I was just reading about and watching some demos of the Pitch Factor online and they seem like they would be very cool for the kind of ambient music I do. And the price of $499 or less if I can find a used one is much more reasonable than the cost of a rack mount Harmonizer - and probably more user-friendly as well (although less tweakable).

So just wondering if anyone here has any experience or recommendations about them? I have a Roland VG-99 that has some of the functions, so I'm curious how close I could get with the VG to the Eventide. But I also like that the Pitch Factor has stereo in/out and could be used with keyboards and studio applications as well as guitar.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has one available and would consider trades, I have some fantastic gear I could offer.

• Members

So just wondering if anyone here has any experience or recommendations about them? I have a Roland VG-99 that has some of the functions, so I'm curious how close I could get with the VG to the Eventide. But I also like that the Pitch Factor has stereo in/out and could be used with keyboards and studio applications as well as guitar.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has one available and would consider trades, I have some fantastic gear I could offer.

The VG-99 can do quite a lot of what you want.

In fact, much of my VG-99 ambient work is not synthesizer but regular guitar; guitar pitch transposed out of its range and then effected/pitch shifted/modulated and then pitch transposed back down into its range.

That causes a distinct timbral change. And then sometimes reverbed. I also use the 12-string algorithm to thicken things up. So that's important: combo of pitch transpose/pitch shift (two different things)/12-string thickening.

Then chorus/flange/delay/reverb - there's lots of places to go.

Or mix and match different combinations. I think Bill Ruppert really was onto something with his VG work - the two sides of the box have a lot of capability but it's not immediately obvious and the editor doesn't much help.

I know that Vernon Reid uses an Eventide ModFactor with the VG-99 and I've been thinking of checking these out myself.

I don't know if the pedals are quite as lush as the rackmounts. But if they're anything as good as they COULD be, no problem. The demos I've heard make them not quite as lush and thick but ...

I suppose if I had my druthers I'd get an H8000FW but at five grand they're worth every penny and they're the ultimate machine for ambient. Look at Fripp with TWO of the damn things in his rack.

Archived