Line 6 sells e-mail addresses

LaughingGuitar

• Members

I'm not exactly sure which forum this should go in, but considering the company deals with mostly this sort of gear, I suppose it should go here.

To start with, I've never bought from, created an account with, or given my e-mail address to Music123. However, recently I created an account on Line 6's website so I could use their forums. I very carefully reviewed all the information during the sign-up process, unchecking all the boxes that should be unchecked etc., just like I always do.

Within 30 minutes of signing up for the Line 6 website, I started receiving e-mail from Music123 at the address I used to sign up for Line 6, and they have sent me multiple e-mails and newsletters since. So it would appear Line 6 shares your e-mail address, even when you don't give them permission to do so.

Just a heads-up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have to look at the pre-checked boxes and uncheck certain things. Email contact, subscribe, many of those default to Sure go right on ahead!

Also read the stuff you "agree to"

Many times it gives them permissions you may not want them to have. Other sites might be having bots and spam {censored} going on.

• Members

I did uncheck everything. As I alluded to in my post above, whenever I sign up for anything, be it a forum or a game, I always carefully examine the sign-up page and all checkboxes.

However, as you pointed out, it very well could have been something in their terms of service that you have to agree to.

• Members

Could be. I don't know. I frequent an online pool equipment supply company and never signed up for any email contacts, previews, weekly news. I get all of them. I've deleted my acct to see if that was what it was. Still got the emails and spam. Not that I totally minded since a couple deals were pretty good. :p

• Members

That wouldn't surprise me. Looking under Privacay in the EULA will tell you what they do w/ your information, in addition to unchecking boxes.

Everyone should have a spam email account along with a personal one. All my non-personal stuff goes to my spam one. It includes purchases and forums.

• Members

I'm not exactly sure which forum this should go in, but considering the company deals with mostly this sort of gear, I suppose it should go here.

To start with, I've never bought from, created an account with, or given my e-mail address to Music123. However, recently I created an account on Line 6's website so I could use their forums. I very carefully reviewed all the information during the sign-up process, unchecking all the boxes that should be unchecked etc., just like I always do.

Within 30 minutes of signing up for the Line 6 website, I started receiving e-mail from Music123 at the address I used to sign up for Line 6, and they have sent me multiple e-mails and newsletters since. So it would appear Line 6 shares your e-mail address, even when you don't give them permission to do so.

Just a heads-up.

I know quite a few folks over at Line 6. I checked on this, and they do NOT redistribute information. The guess is that you've likely shopped at Musician's Friend, or Guitar Center before, and are on their mailing list as a result. In case you weren't aware, GC, MF, Music123, and Harmony Central are all part of the same company.

Cheers,

Loop.

• Members

I know quite a few folks over at Line 6. I checked on this, and they do NOT redistribute information. The guess is that you've likely shopped at Musician's Friend, or Guitar Center before, and are on their mailing list as a result. In case you weren't aware, GC, MF, Music123, and Harmony Central are all part of the same company.

Cheers,

Loop.

I have shopped at Musician's Friend yes, but using a different e-mail address than the one I used to sign-up over at Line 6. Line 6 is the only website of its sort I gave that particular e-mail address to, and the voila, not long afterwards I started receiving a steady stream of e-mails from Music123 at that address.

• Members

I have shopped at Musician's Friend yes, but using a different e-mail address than the one I used to sign-up over at Line 6. Line 6 is the only website of its sort I gave that particular e-mail address to, and the voila, not long afterwards I started receiving a steady stream of e-mails from Music123 at that address.

Wow. Like I said, I got pretty definite word from Line 6 today that they do NOT do this.

I'm a Line 6 dealer, and I'd certainly be privy to that information.

Spyware on your computer perhaps? I'm at a loss here.

• Members

Wow. Like I said, I got pretty definite word from Line 6 today that they do NOT do this.

I'm a Line 6 dealer, and I'd certainly be privy to that information.

Spyware on your computer perhaps? I'm at a loss here.

I'm not saying I disbelieve you or anything. I'm just saying it's strange because Line 6 was the only guitar-type site with that particular e-mail address. No spyware on my system, I use Linux. Though even on a Windows system with spyware that somehow got ahold of a particular e-mail address, that would still be a bit of odd behavior.

• Members

Cheers,

Loop.

I would have a hard time believing they sell your email, also.

Archived