New to MIDI and synths, got some questions

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm primarily an acoustic fingerstyle player. The last time I was at Guitar Center they had a cheap tele with a Roland GK-3 synth pickup and a Roland GR-20 guitar synth set up for people to try out. I had a lot of fun playing Stairway and House of the Rising Sun with the organ sound patch, My Heart Will Go On with the orchestra strings, etc.

However, it wasn't without its problems. One of them was tracking. After doing some searching I see that the Graphtech Ghost and RMC pickups are better at tracking than the Roland pickups, and they both have systems that install into acoustics (which I'd rather play than an electric with a synth pickup). The Ghost installation is rather invasive, but is the RMC? Also, should I get a synth pickup in an acoustic I already have, or would I be better off getting a Godin or the Carvin NS1? Can the Line6 Variax Acoustic drive a guitar synth?

In looking at guitar synths, Roland and Axon seem to be the two big names. Are there other brands I should be looking at? Also, what are the good models from Roland and Axon?

• Members

For the best possible tracking get an axon. Rolands work well, but Axons work better. The problem is they arent made anymore, but you can still find them around

The ax50 is a small usb unit. It doesnt have any internal sounds so you would need to drive a midi sound module.

The line6 variax acoustic cant drive a roland/axon by itself stock, but you CAN put a gk pickup on it to do the job (i have a variax 700 acoustic with a gk3 pickup and it works great).

Godins work very well driving midi converters. Ive owned two of them and they use RMC piezo systems that track very well.

I recommend getting a Godin with an Axon for the best performance.

• Members

I recommend getting a Godin with an Axon for the best performance.

+1!!!

If you are wanting the best tracking out there, an RMC or GHOST system is the only way to go. The Roland pickups can only be adjusted on one side or the other up or down, so while they DO work, they just do not work very well.

One thing to keep in mind with the ax 50, is that you can hook it up to a computer by USB, but it does NOT have a hold pedal option. You have to get a MIDI floorpedal and configure it to work with the ax 50 to have a hold pedal. (NOTE.... the MIDI floorpedals can run as much as just getting a used ax 100 MK II, when you consider paying for the ax 50 and then a MIDI floorboard pedal...then you have to configure it.)And though the ax 50 does not have a hold pedal, the new ax 100 MK II units come with a hold pedal. But....the ax 100 MK II does not have a USB hookup to a computer. BUT...the axon ax 100 MK II DOES have its own sounds! So it really depends on if you want to use the unit live or studio or bedroom playing. Both the ax 50 and ax 100 are equal in tracking speed, which is the best out there so far.

I have a Godin ACS SA classical guitar with 13 pin pickup. (because the MIDI sounds seem to be clearer on classical guitar strings. Then I have a Axon Ax 100 MK II hooked up with a MIDI cable to a Yamaha Motif XS Rack. This is one of the best setups you can get, but it will also cost a lot.

If you like the Roland sounds, you can pick up a GR 33 ( I used one for years before I got my new setup) or a Roland GR 20 (newest MIDI guitar unit Roland has) and a Brian Moore 81.13. The 81.13 is a Chinese electric steel string guitar, but it has great tracking with the built in RMC pickups.

They have a GR 20 on ebay brand new and only the box is missing for $449.00 with BIN.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Roland-GR-20-Guitar-Synthesizer-BOX-/310252280236?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item483c7a19ac

They have a Brian Moore 91.13 (one step up from a 81.13 ...a little better regular pickups) with a hardshell case for $660.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIAN-MOORE-iM-iGuitar-91-13-with13-pin-RMC-System-/270605496875?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0158322b

They also have a new in box Axon AX 100 MK II for $500.00 starting bid. (Though the price may go up)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Axon-AX-100-mkII-Guitar-to-MIDI-Converter-New-Box-/290477674321?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43a1d18f51

They have a Godin multiac nylon string for $840.00 BIN.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Godin-Multiac-Nylon-String-SA-Electric-Guitar-Classical-/260665195955?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cb0db3db3

I Could not find an ax 50 on ebay. These just give you some idea of used MIDI guitar gear prices.

It is up to you what you want to spend on MIDI guitar gear, for some, they like just the Roland products with a GK or RMC pickup.

Others like an axon unit and a synth rack of their choice going through a RMC or GHOST pickup. All depends on what you want to spend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

On my esp the middle strings get very close to the magnets on the GK pick up. The radius on the Roland gk pick up is a little way overboard imo. if you have a huge radius on your fret board like a 70`s strat the Roland pick up will fit and track perfectly.

If you have a gk3 pickup, theres a tiny screw which allows you to adjust the radius.

• Members

On my esp the middle strings get very close to the magnets on the GK pick up. The radius on the Roland gk pick up is a little way overboard imo. if you have a huge radius on your fret board like a 70`s strat the Roland pick up will fit and track perfectly.

+

I doubt "perfectly" would be the correct term. "Close" would be a better term. They simply do not track as well as a RMC or GHOST pickup.

Archived