Help Please! Midi footswitch control of 3 midi devices, of varying vintage...

dcsween2006

• Members

I'm trying to figure out the best way to control my setup. I'm adding a Nova Drive to my current setup and can't quite figure out how to control it with my current midi foot-switch. I'm not that well versed in MIDI and apologize in advance for what's gonna follow.

My setup: Nova System, Roland GR-33 guit-synth module, TC Electronic G-Minor Midi footswitch, Tech-21 Blonde character pedal (Nova Drive on it's way).

G-Minor MIDI OUT to MIDI IN on the Nova System;NS MIDI OUT to MIDI IN on GR33. Blonde pedal is just in line currently. The GR33 outputs to a separate channel on the keyboard amp; the NS also has it's own channel. I'm using MIDI Mapping on the NS to pick the tones I want on the GR33, so, for ex: patch 1-01 on NS triggers patch 26 on the GR33 (keyboard), patch 1-02 on NS triggers a horn patch, etc.

So....Adding a Nova Drive, with it's MIDI IN and OUT capabilities- how to do this? I can't see MIDI mapping offered on the GR-33, and I haven't used CCs at all in the MIDI world. The G-Minor only has UP, DOWN, and SQUARE switch, that it. The NS has MIDI in, out, and thru; the GR33 only has MIDI in and out.

Am I better off using the GR-33 as my starting point, going out from it to the NS, then from NS MIDI thru to the Nova Drive Midi In (for patch changes)? Or should I get more familiar with Control Commands? I would love to be able to use the patch change features, seems more versatile. Is the G-Minor just not capable of controlling all this at once in my current configuration?

I'm probably leaving out vital info, but that's my best initial attempt to describe my problem to solve.

The TC Electronic stuff is pretty bad about explaining the MIDI stuff in detail. Roland's not much better, but I truly am JUST getting into the MIDI control world, so I'm probably making it harder than it really is.

Thanks for any and all constructive replies!

-Dan

Archived