GR55 impressions and questions...

Karma1

• Members

I finally got over to the local music store today to check out the GR55. I already have a GR33 and VG99, but anytime Roland comes up with a new model, I usually wind up getting it. So I wanted to see if I should put my GR33 up for sale and make the move. I had mixed reactions to it.

The tracking was definitely better than previous GR synth models (of which I've owned three). It also had some interesting synth sounds that would work for the kind of ambient music I do. However the regular guitar sounds, both rhythm and lead were not as good as I expected. They didn't sound as realistic as I would like and didn't give the feel of playing a real guitar. I know from experience that it takes a bit of tweaking to get what you want out of it. I actually don't mind that and have a lot of experience with synth editing. But I'd like to know that I could eventually get, for example, a realistic sounding clean Strat tone for my main rhythm sound and a great high gain lead tone that sounds like a guitar not a synth. The main attraction of the GR55 is that is is an all in one box for regular guitar sounds as well as synth sounds. In the past I've gigged with my GR33 for synth tones and another multi-fx unit for my guitar sounds.

So what I want to know is if anyone using a GR55 is getting great clean tones out of it that sound (and play) like a real guitar? I know from using the VG99 that it should be possible, but I didn't hear much in the GR55 presets that impressed me in that regard, or the lead tones for that matter.

• Members

I finally got over to the local music store today to check out the GR55. I already have a GR33 and VG99, but anytime Roland comes up with a new model, I usually wind up getting it. So I wanted to see if I should put my GR33 up for sale and make the move. I had mixed reactions to it.

The tracking was definitely better than previous GR synth models (of which I've owned three). It also had some interesting synth sounds that would work for the kind of ambient music I do. However the regular guitar sounds, both rhythm and lead were not as good as I expected. They didn't sound as realistic as I would like and didn't give the feel of playing a real guitar. I know from experience that it takes a bit of tweaking to get what you want out of it. I actually don't mind that and have a lot of experience with synth editing. But I'd like to know that I could eventually get, for example, a realistic sounding clean Strat tone for my main rhythm sound and a great high gain lead tone that sounds like a guitar not a synth. The main attraction of the GR55 is that is is an all in one box for regular guitar sounds as well as synth sounds. In the past I've gigged with my GR33 for synth tones and another multi-fx unit for my guitar sounds.

So what I want to know is if anyone using a GR55 is getting great clean tones out of it that sound (and play) like a real guitar? I know from using the VG99 that it should be possible, but I didn't hear much in the GR55 presets that impressed me in that regard, or the lead tones for that matter.

If you are expecting it to be a VG 99 that is a bit unfair. It is definately NOT a GR 99. More like half from what I have read. Still, for what it does on youtube videos I have seen I think it will suit my needs perfectly.

If you have high expectations of a synth unit and a guitar unit, then maybe you should stick with a separate setup for both.

• Members

It's more like maybe just under half of a VG-99.

For instance, on the VG and the GR you can do a 12-string emulation.

Due to the fact that the VG has multiple polyphonic pitch shifters you could create a
DADGAD 12-string and you can't do that on the GR-55.

The polyphonic pitch shifters are one of the greatest things on the VG-99.

I could not duplicate this on the GR-55 except maybe using synth waves whereas you can do this on the VG all by itself:

td2lR5WXOQ0

• Members

I have both the vg99 and gr55 and agree with Alien and Mygolfcart that the gr55 is not really 'half' the vg99. It doesnt have the flexibility in terms of signal chain manipulation, doesnt have the vg99's capacity to have alternately tuned 12 string models, nor the vg99's fantastic and underrated polyphonic harmonizer. If you dont need these functions, it may be fine for you.

You can get good clean guitar tones out of the gr55. It doesnt have the responsiveness of Fractals Axe-Fx or even Line 6's Pod HD series in terms of responding variably to different playing intensities, but its still very functional in getting decent tones.

The fact that roland didnt package an editor with the unit is immensely short-sighted (thankfully a herculean effort by a user at vguitarforums is making up for this). The (guitar tone) presets in the gr55 are mostly garbage.

I found the Jazz Combo and Clean twin models good for clean tones.

For a good example of what you CAN do with the gr55 check this out:

• Members

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated.

That demo video was helpful even though it wasn't in English. I've seen Gundy before in other videos and he really knows how to demo a patch in the way that works best for that particular sound, compared to some of the videos on youtube where the person is just playing the same riff for every patch.

Up till now my live rig has been a GR33 with the guitar output going to a Zoom G2.1Nu and Eventide Pitchfactor. I like the idea of the GR55 being an all in one unit where I could get my guitar sounds out of it as well as synth sounds. I guess I'll have to experiment with it some more to see if I can get the kind of regular rhythm and lead guitar sounds out of it that I want. I have a feeling that with some tweaking I probably can.

Archived