Done with tube amps (waited ~15 years for this)

Deaj

• Members

Let me start by saying that I have been a tube amp nut for nearly 30 years (owned 44 to date, collected vintage amps for quite a few years). I personally find amplifier choice to be more important than guitar choice.

~15 years ago I saw what Line6 was attempting to accomplish with digital modeling and even sampled this in the form of the first gen Line6 POD. I was underwhelmed with the POD and it didn't last long but the idea stuck. I have been waiting patiently ever since for modeling to close the gap, to become indistinguishable from a real tube amp.

Four years ago I became aware of Fractal Audio's Axe-FX and I've been watching its development very closely since, hopeful that it would be capable of replacing tube amps altogether - for me.

Three weeks ago I decided to purchase an Axe-FX Standard. Two weeks ago I received the Axe-FX and began exploring its potential. Within 36 hours I was sold and decided to upgrade to the Ultra. I also purchased a powered FRFR loudspeaker / monitor wedge. The Ultra and powered monitor arrived about one week ago. After familiarizing myself with the Amp block and it's various adjustable parameters I began building virtual rigs based on some of my favorite amps, vintage and modern both. I have since built simulations tuned to match all of the voicings I like mist from my Mesa Mark V combo amp and the Axe-FX, through the powered wedge sounded as good, and better in some ways, as the amp. Did this side by side with my Egnater Twealer combo with similar results.

I've decided that the Axe-FX is a viable alternative to tube amps for me. I'm selling my MkV combo. I'm keeping the Tweaker for when I have someone over o jam with and as a test platform should I ever get back to building pedals.

This afternoon I built a virtual tweed Deluxe (the vintage amp that started me collecting many years ago. I sat playing Playing in utter disbelief, again, at what I was hearing and feeling under my fingers... awe-struck best describes it. I now have a great old tweed Deluxe at my disposal. This experience has occurred more than a few times since the Axe-FX arrived.

There are so many advantages working with the Axe-FX and no drawbacks. I've barely scratched the surface with the Axe-FX and it was enough for me to confidently sell my primary amp knowing I'll never look back with regret. These things are tools. Once a tool has proved itself better suited to it's given purpose it replaces the old tool. That is exactly what I'm doing here.

This is an exciting time for me. I'm learning to play for longer periods of time despite the joint pain in my hands, wrists and shoulders (arthritic condition) and the Axe-FX is providing need, opportunity, and often inspiration to play as much as I am able to. When I'm unable to play I use that time to further explore the potential in this thing and learn to better utilize it.

Very exciting!

• Members

Well I too am ordering an axe fx ultra, but I cannot seem to let go of my Mesa Boogie 2x12 lonestar and probably will not! I simply like the feel of it and will probably use the axe fx for effects only at first.

Later on I will see though I doubt I will get rid of my tube amp.

• Members

Well I too am ordering an axe fx ultra, but I cannot seem to let go of my Mesa Boogie 2x12 lonestar and probably will not! I simply like the feel of it and will probably use the axe fx for effects only at first.

Later on I will see though I doubt I will get rid of my tube amp.

Enjoy the Axe-FX! I hope you find it as inspiring as I have. :)

• Members

Those are bad ass. It probably wont be that long before even the most stringent tube fanatics cant tell the difference in a blind test.

The Axe-FX is most likely already there. (well, except for the 'amp in the room' experience).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The AxeFx is neat, that's for sure. I just don't think it's to the point where we're saying it "feels" like a tube amp does. At least not yet.

As for sound, depending on production we've been able to fool people for years about that with modeling. It's always been a dynamics/feel issue.

• Members

Then use the 4 cable method through a genuine tube amp....best of both worlds!

Quite true. However though its effects alone are obvious stellar, it's a bit rich for my blood to be only used for that. I'll probably end up with an M13.

Archived