Expression pedal - what exactly is it?

MKaneJeeves

• Members

I've been reading a lot on midi processors and Rolands and they always talk about an external expression pedal. Reeves had two, one attached to his VG-8 and one attached to his GR-09 synth. I'm a little confused as to what this it. Is it a wah or other effects that is outside of your other programmed effects? Is it an assignable pedal where you can make it a wah, volume pedal, tap tempo pedal, etc.? What is it so I can know what I'm reading when I see expression pedals used in these guitar articles. Thanks.

• Members

I've been reading a lot on midi processors and Rolands and they always talk about an external expression pedal. Reeves had two, one attached to his VG-8 and one attached to his GR-09 synth. I'm a little confused as to what this it. Is it a wah or other effects that is outside of your other programmed effects? Is it an assignable pedal where you can make it a wah, volume pedal, tap tempo pedal, etc.? What is it so I can know what I'm reading when I see expression pedals used in these guitar articles. Thanks.

It's just a potentiometer attached to a pedal like a wah or volume pedal. A lot of them can also double as volume pedals. It is usually assignable to any number of parameters as you mentioned. Tap tempo not so much though.

Archived