need advice on installing a GK-3, please

• Members

Hey good people!

Can I put a GK-3 on my Tele without causing any marks or discoloration on it? I'm not looking for permanent......I'm looking for a 3-4 month solution. From what I read,

the included double-sided tape should hold the pick-up on well enough, but it's the controller unit I'm concerned about.

From what I've read, you screw a bracket onto the guitar via the rear strap button. Is there any kind of padding included to prevent marks and discoloration?

And is the attachment to the strap button enough to keep it secure? I think they also recommend using double-sided tape for the controller unit bracket, applying it directly to the guitar finish, which I definitely don't want to do.

So, can I put a GK-3 on my Tele, and remove it, "cleanly"?

Thanks!

• Members

The mounting bracket works well and has a felt coating on the underside. I've had one on my guitar for years and no problems with leaving marks, etc. It does hold it secure if you tighten it well. I wouldn't mount the controller with double sided tape.

However, there may be more of an issue with mounting the pickup on a Tele. The pickup is ideally supposed to go between the bridge and the bottom edge of the bridge pickup for best response and tracking. I don't think most Tele models can accomodate this arrangement. However, a number of years ago, I had a Fernandes super Strat-style guitar with a Floyd Rose that didn't have enough room between the bridge and the pickup to install it there, so I mounted it at the top edge of the bridge pickup rather than the bottom edge. It's not recommended, but it worked ok. You'd have to experiment with it on your guitar to see how it worked.

• Members

Thanks, karma! That's great news about the felt backing on the controller unit bracket.

There seems to be enough room between the bridge pick-up and the bridge to fit a GK-3 in-between.

But if not, I could just put it on my Strat. The handy thing with that being that some dude on ebay sells a mounting bracket specifically made for Strats.

Thanks again.

• Members

I'm using doublesided tape on my strat:

artcrawl.JPG

But once removed you would never know it was there:

strat3.jpg

I can easily add or remove the pickup in just 10-15 minutes depending how careful I am - the top pic was a gig at the Lowertown ArtCrawl in St. Paul a few weeks ago.

Archived