Question about "processed" industrial sounding guitar distortions...

• Members

I have owned the ART ECC, Behringer V-AMP2, Line 6 PODxt and POD 2.0, Johnson J-Station, Digitech GNX2, Yamaha Magicstomp I, and Vox Desktop Tonelab and SE ... and currently have a Boss GT-8. All of the aforementioned modelers but the PODxt and Magicstomp should work well with pedals that have the same degree of harshness as the FZ7.

I also used a parametric EQ in conjunction with the FZ7 back when I recorded with one ... and eventually had it modded by Indyguitarist to sound a bit more smooth and bassy. He did an excellent job, but space has become limited on my board, and I have some boutique fuzzes that are marginally better ... so it is currently up for sale ... along with the aforementioned parametric EQ, no less. ;)

It's good to hear that you managed to score a Bitrman. Once you have the kinks worked out of your recording setup, it should be a formidable addition to your noise-generating arsenal. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I emailed Loopy from HuG earlier this year and he said they used a SansAmp (PSA1?) for recording...I saw them last October opening for Ministry and they sounded MUCH heavier than on their albums - it looked like they were using Marshall heads on stage...looked like older JCM heads, but I'm not sure which models.

As for processing for industrial, try these pedals (experiment with the order):

noise gate -> compressor

You can also put another noise gate in the FX loop of your amp for added gating....I use the Boss NS-2 noise gate pedal but have found it doesn't have fast enough attack for really chopping the signal, so that's why I have another noise gate in the FX loop.

As for amps, I LOVE my Randall solid-state amps...X2, Warhead, and Cyclone. The cheaper Randall SS amps (RG/RH series) also have THE Randall sound and it is brutal - great for Industrial.

Put that through a good 4x12 cab and you're set...don't overlook the importance of a good cabinet - I thought my Mesa/Boogie Recto 4x12s were great (and they ARE) until I got my first Randall Warhead 4x12...if you can find one, try one of the Randall RS412XLT or RS412XXLT cabinets - to my ears they sound bigger, brighter, better than my Mesas.

One more thing - I have a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis v2.0, Rectifier Recording preamp, and 2:100 power amp...The Triaxis will give you a great Industrial tone too, but costs $$$. The Rectifier recording pre sounds wimpy (even with EQ and/or BBE sonic max) compared to the Triaxis or the Randall amps (especially the X2 or Cyclone).

Archived