Build Your Own Clone Delay

MrSage

• Members

Well, it looks like the old thread got deleted (figures, seeing as how it was on topic and all), so I thought I'd post a new thread talking up the Build Your Own Clone delay pedal.

www.buildyourownclone.com/delay

I built an effects loop into mine, and it sounds great. Now I can add all kinds of modulation to the delayed signal, making for all sorts of analog-voiced mayhem. It was having problems at first, but Keith sent me a revised diagram, and now the loop is working perfectly.

I've tried phasers, tremolos, my Meatball, and now my new Pearl Chorus...all awesome. I especially like how you can almost use the blend pot as a wet/dry mix control on lower delay times. Heck, even on longer delay times...that keeps things from getting muddy.

A few of my favorites so far have been my tremulus lune, the seek wah model on my Filter Pro, and the vibrato mode on the Pearl chorus...all awesome. Actually, I'll try to post some clips of the seek wah. It's cool to have that effect without having it overpower your sound.

Overall, this is a killer delay on its own...in the same park as the Dan-Echo in terms of analog-voiced tone. With the loop, it becomes an awesome, versatile pedal. I actually like it better than my old Deluxe Memory Men.

Definitely worth checking out!

(note the BYOC Phase 90 in the loop :D :D )

• Members

Originally posted by JimVW

How long did the delay take you to build?

Not long. It ended up taking a couple of evenings, but if you build it to specs with the materials Keith includes in the kit, it'll be pretty quick. Maybe an evening's worth of work.

I put in the effects loop, so I had to drill a new (bigger) enclosure for it. That took a bit longer. I tried fitting it all in the original enclosure, but that wasn't going to work.

• Members
Originally posted by tropics

more importantly, how much did all the extra parts cost. does bigtonemusic throw in other stuff for a few more bucks or did you have to look elsewhere?

It's actually all stuff I had laying around...

You can get it all at www.smallbearelec.com (and most of it from LongJohnny).

It's not that much extra:
* two extra jacks
* bigger enclosure
* some extra wire
* extra switch
* extra LED (if desired)

• Members

Dammit.

I had clips 90% of the way finished, and my computer shut down.

I think the wav files are still archived in some folder somewhere, but I have to find them, cut and paste the right parts of the clips, and export them.

Stupid power strip.

:mad:

I might have clips up tomorrow...

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

A few of my favorites so far have been my tremulus lune, the seek wah model on my Filter Pro, and the vibrato mode on the Pearl chorus...all awesome. Actually, I'll try to post some clips of the seek wah. It's cool to have that effect without having it overpower your sound.

What's the filter pro? You don't mean the fm-4?

I've got a byoc phase 90 otw...

• Members

I also built the delay kit and I'm VERY happy. You can get a great old school slap-back echo which is exactly what I was looking for. Plus a nice Gilmour delay and it's a great pedal all in all. The soldering was a day and the box was a day. I'm not big on graphics so for me it was hammered copper finish and straight ahead labels. I've also done the tonebender kit and I love it. I just wish it was negative ground instead of positive. I tried in vain many times to re-wire it to positive ground but eventually gave up. That so far has been the only negaive to Keith's kits to this point. He's been very helpful and he makes a great kit.

• Members

Mr. Sage,

Would you conider making me a few pedals? I am looking for an octave fuzz, that can go from mild to wild and buzzy. Also, I would love a delay like the one you built, with the effects loop. I could trade you parts, and money. I also have some awesome 24 guage teflon/silver wire that I have been using. It takes a while to get used to, but I wont use anything else now.

Also, I dont work for smallbearelec.com, I just also sell parts, and give all the HC guys a great deal.

I have to update my sig, to reflect the new pots that I have in stock now.

John

• Members

Originally posted by LongJohnny

Mr. Sage,

Would you conider making me a few pedals? I am looking for an octave fuzz, that can go from mild to wild and buzzy. Also, I would love a delay like the one you built, with the effects loop. I could trade you parts, and money. I also have some awesome 24 guage teflon/silver wire that I have been using. It takes a while to get used to, but I wont use anything else now.

Also, I dont work for smallbearelec.com, I just also sell parts, and give all the HC guys a great deal.

I have to update my sig, to reflect the new pots that I have in stock now.

John

Yeah, I would consider that...

Let me try to get a few things arranged before I try to commit to it, though.

Oh, and I didn't mean to imply that you worked for SmallBear! Just that you sell a lot of the additional parts one would need to build the effects loop on (and SmallBear sells the rest).

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

I also built the delay kit and I'm VERY happy. You can get a great old school slap-back echo which is exactly what I was looking for. Plus a nice Gilmour delay and it's a great pedal all in all. The soldering was a day and the box was a day. I'm not big on graphics so for me it was hammered copper finish and straight ahead labels. I've also done the tonebender kit and I love it. I just wish it was negative ground instead of positive. I tried in vain many times to re-wire it to positive ground but eventually gave up. That so far has been the only negaive to Keith's kits to this point. He's been very helpful and he makes a great kit.

Yaz, when you painted the enclosure, did you put it in the oven to speed up the drying time (as Keith recommends) or did you let it airdry?

I have the BYOC Fuzz Face clone that I'm getting ready to build. The Mrs. won't let me use her oven (I don't blame her), and I don't mind waiting the whole day for it to airdry if need be.

• Members

Originally posted by playdabluze

Yaz, when you painted the enclosure, did you put it in the oven to speed up the drying time (as Keith recommends) or did you let it airdry?

I have the BYOC Fuzz Face clone that I'm getting ready to build. The Mrs. won't let me use her oven (I don't blame her), and I don't mind waiting the whole day for it to airdry if need be.

It depends on the type of paint...Some paints will melt if you use an oven.

I'd recommend just letting it sit for a day in a dry place.

• Members

It depends on the type of paint...Some paints will melt if you use an oven.

I'd recommend just letting it sit for a day in a dry place.

pretty simple thing to make a small solar oven.

i use the back of my pickup. I have a camper shell on my truck, and an afternoon with it closed up seems to cure any kind of spraypaint.

• Members
Originally posted by dyer_maker

Anyone ideas what the current draw and DC polarity is? Also how does the clone handle the front of a dirty amp or clean for that matter?

Thanks

I don't know what the power draw is, but it's a digital delay, so I would plan to use a power adapter. Standard Boss adapter works fine.

• Members

I don't know what the power draw is, but it's a digital delay, so I would plan to use a power adapter. Standard Boss adapter works fine.

Does the BYOC delay sound "digital"...like the Boss DD-series, or is there some "warmth" to it...like a DM-2?

• Members

Cool thread Mr. Sage. I really like that PT2399 chip. Gonna have to get some of those....

I've got a general digital delay question for you (or anyone who knows).

Do you know if older digital delay pedals did the feedback loop in analog? In particular, what did the DD-2 do? If they did, then it should be possible to mod then for a loop like you did. I'm trying to do a rehouse for a DD-2 circuit and this would be cool to add (in addition to the other mod I'm trying to do)

• Members

It doesn't seem like that would be very difficult to do.

I know JPL Audio has rehoused DD-5's and added loops to those.

I'm not sure if additional buffers would be needed or anything, but it's definitely a sweet mod!

• Members
Originally posted by playdabluze

Does the BYOC delay sound "digital"...like the Boss DD-series, or is there some "warmth" to it...like a DM-2?

Very warm...that's why it's billed as "analog-voiced."

Archived