You guys missed out yesterday (Sir HC vintage fuzz content)

• Members
Originally posted by Euthymia

I'm still on a high from listening to the opamp Big Muff/ICBM comparison. Only thing I missed was getting an ID on what kind of chips were in the E-H.

I'm glad Chris happened to be in town and that you guys checked out the pedals with my Champ instead of doing it later at your place.

many thanks for hosting such a lovely shindig! and for the use of the Saga y Champ. :)

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

What does this mod do? My tweed 5F1 champ replica runs at pretty high voltages...

Basically adjusts the idle current.

I checked my Champ's 6V6 with my bias probe and sure enough, it was roasting.

It's similar to setting the bias in amps where you can adjust the bias.

What are you seeing on pin 3?

• Members

Originally posted by Euthymia

Basically adjusts the idle current.

I checked my Champ's 6V6 with my bias probe and sure enough, it was roasting.

It's similar to setting the bias in amps where you can adjust the bias.

What are you seeing on pin 3?

i still need to do this type o' mod to my Mig.

• Members

I can't help but smile imagining Sir HC explaining his "luggage" to the security creeps at the airport.

"It's a fuzz. You know, for guitar. No, Electric guitar. You know, like Jimi Hendrix used. Jimi Hendrix, a great guitar player from the '60's. Are You Experienced? No, that's the name of his first album. Sweet {censored}ing jesus, they're all cordless razers."

• Members

Originally posted by ickystay

I can't help but smile imagining Sir HC explaining his "luggage" to the security creeps at the airport.

"It's a fuzz. You know, for guitar. No, Electric guitar. You know, like Jimi Hendrix used. Jimi Hendrix, a great guitar player from the '60's. Are You Experienced? No, that's the name of his first album. Sweet {censored}ing jesus, they're all cordless razers."

Some friends of mine had a similar problem when they were walking back form band practise a few years ago and came across a Bill Clinton public appearance in the town square (when he was the leader of the free world) - they had pedalboards in hand and thought it best to drop them off somewhere else before walking into the sniper-scope field....

icky - good to see you anyways - haven't seen you 'round in a while!

• Members

So on the way back, I had the pedals in a Snoopy suitcase. I little thing. Both directions they swiped the pedals to be sure they were not explosives. Nothing found so all was cool. BBQ was great. The ICBM is a spot on version of the IC Big Muff. You could not tell which was on when you dialed them both in. It was amazing. Thanks Erik and Ian I had a great time.

• Members

Originally posted by sirhcathome

So I opened it up:

UA741 op amp

RC4558 op-amp

not sure if there are more markings but these are kind of hard to see without

pulling the whole board out.

Ah, thanks. The current production TI RC4558's sound different.

I like them all right, but the vintage RCA CA1458's work better for me.

I just tried a current production SGS MC1458 and did not care for it.

Never thought I'd be cork-sniffing opamps as part of my job!

Archived