cheap amp... Microcube or use my CPU?

(((echo)))

• Members

i've got like $100 to spend and i'm thinking about picking up a roland micro cube... but, i've also got some good programs on my cpu that i'd like to take advantage of (reason & garageband) so i'm thinking maybe i should buy an inexpensive usb interface and run my guitar into a vst program... question is...

would it be that simple or will i need to invest into a preamp, expensive vst's, etc...?

are there any decent, free programs out there?

and what usb interface should i look into on my budget... i had a m audio quattro and couldn't get it to work with my g4 ibook.

• Members

My vote is for the cube. I picked one up in January and it is by far the best purchase I've made this year. It has some decent effects for its size and produces quite decent tones, can run on batteries, can be stashed just out of reach for when inspiration hits you or a commercial comes on, and is great for traveling with. Produces good tone at high volume that you can easily jam with it at a small party, etc.
If you just wanna have some decent fun and enjoy playing I'd go with the cube...if you wanna put more time into tweaking your sound, etc. then go with a program.

Archived