General Guitar Gadgets Bobble Distortion (Muff Clone)

ck3

• Members

bobble.jpg

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=209&Itemid=234

I noticed this new addition to the GGG prebuilt line yesterday. Apparently, it is an updated version of the Big Bobble Muff Clone ... complete with improvements that are supposed to make it superior to a Green Muff ... in an enclosure no larger than a standard, boutique OD/Fuzz. :eek:

I used to have a Scrabbler and thought it was great ... but what are people's impressions of their other pedals, especially the Big Bobble?

• Members

The Big Bobble that I had for a while was an extremely high-quality and well-built pedal. I only got rid of it because I rebuilt a trashed green Muff; I didn't need two, and you can see in the attached photo why the green Muff (at the bottom of the pic) was not going to bring much in trade!

This new Bobble looks very nice indeed.

• Members

I've never used one of JD's completed pedals, but I have used his PCBs in the past. They are nicely made and by the looks of the insides of his pedals (check the pics on his website) the entire package looks neat and tidy. His prices are really fair too.

He does have a new pedal that he's offering called the Meteor. It's a circuit based on a Trainwreck amp that was developed by Doug Hammond. I've got plans to build one for myself as I've heard great things about the circuit. Best of all, it's a lot cheaper than the Menatone Kar Krash.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

The Big Bobble that I had for a while was an extremely high-quality and well-built pedal. I only got rid of it because I rebuilt a trashed green Muff; I didn't need two, and you can see in the attached photo why the green Muff (at the bottom of the pic) was not going to bring much in trade!

Yikes ... that muff looked well-loved ... gangbanged, even. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

He does have a new pedal that he's offering called the Meteor. It's a circuit based on a Trainwreck amp that was developed by Doug Hammond. I've got plans to build one for myself as I've heard great things about the circuit. Best of all, it's a lot cheaper than the Menatone Kar Krash.

I like how most of the schematics are posted on the site ... if I ever get around to honing my soldering skills, my fuzz/filter GAS could become a thing of the past.

• Members

You should definitely do it. I started with a Big Cheese clone using a GGG PCB and it fired up on the first try. Well, actually it was the second try. I forgot to put the ICs in!:rolleyes:

Anyway, if a ham-fisted bastard like me can build an arsenal of effects, most anyone can if they are willing to work carefully and admit that they can and do make mistakes every once in a while.

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

You should definitely do it. I started with a Big Cheese clone using a GGG PCB and it fired up on the first try. Well, actually it was the second try. I forgot to put the ICs in!
:rolleyes:

Anyway, if a ham-fisted bastard like me can build an arsenal of effects, most anyone can if they are willing to work carefully and admit that they can and do make mistakes every once in a while.

I was just looking at some of the simpler projects and contemplating the possibilities ... but wondering if I would have the patience to deal with sanfus of various sorts.

• Members

hmm speaking of which i think i'll order a couple of pcb's right now. what do you guys recommend? im still trying to find a nice distortion. the rat i modded does a fine job, but i wouldnt mind trying something new. so what distortions sound good off the GGG site? no fuzz please. the only thing ive built is a fuzz face clone from GGG, but i have way too many fuzz pedals as it is. i wanted to build a sonic distortion but i tried out an analogman modded maxon reissue and it was WAY too buzzy and scooped for me.

Archived