True bypass mod for this Cry Baby wah please

• Members

Originally posted by drivedistorsion

Many thanks but mine is an old model so the wires colors are different.
:mad:

Your wah is indead an old one.When Dunlop first started making them he had plenty NOS parts from the Thomas Organ days..Did you pull the photo up on the fulltone site? The colors might be different but they would terminate at the same location on the board and switch...Good Luck..Keith

• Members

Ok call me a fool, but is it correct to understand that at least some Dunlop Crybabies are true bypass??? Even with no power going to it, mine will let the signal pass when the effect is switched off. Mine is clearly not that old but I'm still curious. I think mine is from 1996.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Ok call me a fool, but is it correct to understand that at least some Dunlop Crybabies are true bypass??? Even with no power going to it, mine will let the signal pass when the effect is switched off. Mine is clearly not that old but I'm still curious. I think mine is from 1996.

Yes, some of them are - most notably the GCB-95F Crybaby Classic - but it has nothing to do with wether or not the signal passes through the pedal when it is powerless. The "power off" test only shows that there is a physical connection from input to output (as opposed to the electronic bypass systems in Boss/Ibanez type pedals). It does not show how that connection is wired, and if the circuit input is permanently wired to the input jack or not.

A true bypass wiring physically disconnects the circuit input from the input jack in bypass mode, while the half-assed bypass (as used in most wah pedals, MXR, Marshall and a host of others) only switches the output signal. You can read lots more about this on the DIY pages on my personal site (follow the "Power list" link in my sig).

/Andreas

Archived