The Ultimate Metal guitarist rig.. do you need a delay pedal?

jdejong

• Members

Ive been wondering about this for a while now, me and my band play a host of punk/metal songs and all i rly play myself is metal and i was thinking do i really need a delay? like i know delay pedals can make my lead guitar tone sound a bit richer and make my cleans a bit sparklier but some delay pedals let you record loops and watever and i dont need/want that. But my main question is, are delay pedals a nececity in the metal/hard rock guitarists rigs? and if so what exactly can they do for their tone? Cos im not 100% sure!

Currently in my rig its my Gibson LP going into my Zoom 5000, my ZakkWylde Overdrive, my Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble and my Morley Bad Horsie wah, what else can i add to my rig to make it the ultimate metal rig? Plus what ever FX you suggest for me to add could you please explain what they what will they do for me and my tone. Im not that technical so i dont know too much about effects and what alot of them do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers

• Members

Depends on what kind of 'metal' we're talking about. What is punk metal? Like the descendents? If you're doing lots of rhythm playing and palm mutey chunking and fast tempos then I'd say no.

If you're going to take lots of leads and have a big 'stadium' style sound that's big in metal, and particularly if you're the only guitarist, then I wouldn't go without one.

• Members

yer my rythem sound is great its my lead sound that i feel needs a bit more work could you reccomend some good delay pedals for my needs? Like i said i dnt need all the fancy stuff just basic delay but dnt want a piece of crap neither lol.

• Members

I guess for metal, I'm guessing digital delay is preferred to analog.

I'm not sure it matters a whole lot, if you're only ging to be using it for really short delay times. I wouldn't buy anything really high end. Maybe the Dano delay? I dunno.

• Members

I played in a hard rock/metal band in the eighties and early nineties. I used a Digitech 1900 rack mounted digital delay in the effects loop of my ADA MP-1 pre-amp. If you use your amplifier for distortion, I recommend using the delay in the effects loop of your amp (assuming your amp has an effects loop). If you use a pedal for your main source of distortion, and your amp is running clean, then you should put the delay pedal after the distortion pedal for a good clear lead tone.

• Members

@jdejong:

try out these delays:

-Boss DD-3 (sturdy, but no analog sound. max time 800ms)

-Ibanez DE7 (still durable, but no Boss. GREAT analog sound too, max delay 2600ms)

-Line6 Echo Park (sturdy and heavy, lots of options, excellent sounds, max time 2500ms)

and if you handle it softly:

-Korg 301dl Dynamic Echo.

2 delay patches, ducking, great EQ-ing, although not as great 'analog' sound as the DE7 and EP. Max time 1000ms. The switches of this one can get a bit finnicky, so if you're a heavy stomper, stay away from it.

But I think if you don't want any special stuff, the Ibanez DE7 might be your best and cheapest bet. I used one in a heavy/speed metal band recently in the FX-loop of my Engl Savage 60. Great tone. (we did Maiden, Priest and Mercyful Fate stuff amongst others)

Archived