Gainster, tell me about the Mark I

Mesabooger

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

Is it a reissue?

Yes.

Not sure what year it is, but I am already going though on the trade. It looks nice in Blonde and wheat grill.

Corso, sorry I couldn't sell that and went for the trade.

• Members

I assume you mean a Mesa Boogie Mark I. I owned an original Super 60 (that's what they were called in their day) from '77 till I sold it in '92. I tried it with various cabinets/speakers but got my best tone out of it with a Marshall 2x12 loaded with EVM 12s. In my opinion the Mark I does one thing well and only one thing: the classic Boogie lead tone ala Santana. The cleans were not nearly as nice as the Fenders I had acces too (Black Face Princeton, Silver Face Twin, Black Face Super, Silver Face Pro), it couldn't crunch to save it's life (at least not at a volume I could play at). Even the classic Boogie Lead tone had to be LOUD to be classic. I've seen Santana's and Larry Carlton's settings (back when Larry played a Boogie). They were 7, 7, 7 on the volumes. That's LOUD. That's get you kicked out of a club LOUD. That's play in the next state LOUD.

• Members

Well, I was definetly thinking about those things. I can get loud at my house, but for sure not that loud. I am going to use pedals and get a THD attenuater. So, we'll see how it goes.

I wanted to ask Gainster because he uses one mic'd and always wondered how loud he got. It is the reissue with the tweed setting, which is supposed to offer about 40 watts.

Honestly, I don't know what I am getting myself into, but I've always wated a MK I and if it's no my thing, I'll just pull an Olle and trade back for something else.

• Members

According to the Manual I can get it down to 40 and 20 watts

With the POWER switch in the TWEED position, it is also possible to utilize different types of power tubes for different sounds, styles and feels. In this position, the MARK I can be used with not only the standard 6L6 type tubes, but also 6V6 and EL34 power tubes as well. Using these three types of power tubes, three very distinct personalities can be achieved. With the standard 6L6 tubes in place, the amp is most versatile - warm and rich sounding, yet capable of delivering full power for lots of clean headroom. These tubes can be used in either the NORMAL ( switch up ) POWER position, or the TWEED ( switch down ) position for a softer sweeter sound.

Installing the smaller 6V6 power tubes ( most often seen in the classic Fender Deluxe amps ) produces a sound that is vintage and beyond. Wonderful for blues dates or the recording studio, these tubes create a sweet, round, yet bubbly sound. Easy to drive to clip, they are a favorite of many die-hard bluesmen with their emotional, explosive style of attack. In the 100 watt position with the TWEED switch down, the amplifier produces roughly 40 watts and roughly half that in the 60 watt position. This is possibly one of the most enjoyable features of the MARK I and we strongly encourage you to try these various tubes.

Those players who want that British

• Members

Originally posted by GuitArtMan

I assume you mean a Mesa Boogie Mark I. I owned an original Super 60 (that's what they were called in their day) from '77 till I sold it in '92. I tried it with various cabinets/speakers but got my best tone out of it with a Marshall 2x12 loaded with EVM 12s. In my opinion the Mark I does one thing well and only one thing: the classic Boogie lead tone ala Santana. The cleans were not nearly as nice as the Fenders I had acces too (Black Face Princeton, Silver Face Twin, Black Face Super, Silver Face Pro), it couldn't crunch to save it's life (at least not at a volume I could play at). Even the classic Boogie Lead tone had to be LOUD to be classic. I've seen Santana's and Larry Carlton's settings (back when Larry played a Boogie). They were 7, 7, 7 on the volumes. That's LOUD. That's get you kicked out of a club LOUD. That's play in the next state LOUD.

It has a master volume. You change out the speaker to a Jensen c12n and all is good. I also run 4 6v6's at times. Two 5881's are wonderful. I have played very small gigs with my 74 Boogie with no problems. :)

• Members

Very nice Robo. Is that a MK II? It looks like it has one more front knob than a

MK I. IS that a 15 inch speaker? It looks big for some reason.

Here's a pic on the on coming to me, the grill is old and have been eying some empty combo cabs that pop up on ebay in Harwood and Wicker cane like that beauty you have there.

MesaBoogieMarkIfront.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

It has a master volume. You change out the speaker to a Jensen c12n and all is good. I also run 4 gv6's at times. Two 5881's are wonderful. I have played very small gigs with my 74 Boogie with no problems.
:)

That makes me feel better. From reading all these reviews it sounded like I was going to go full bore all the time. And the funny thing was, none of the reviews talked about playing with different tubes, it was either "This amp has The Tone" or "This amp suck balls."

What kind of tones are those 5881s? And what wattage do they put out?

OH and what's this thread without pics of yours?;)

• Members

The Mark I is a nice amp IMO. You should definitely download or get a copy of the owners manual, and/or have someone that is used to messing with the amp help explain some of the features and how the different settings work. I have found that the Mark I sounds best with either my Strat or semi hollowbody guitars. I have 6L6's in the power section (I have another EL34 equipped amp that is my main and favorite amp) and I find them to be a great fit. The amp takes pedals pretty well, and is very responsive. I am putting mine up for sale at a local shop this weekend simply because it is too heavy for me too keep lugging around as my "smaller, more portable" combo. It is heavy, don't let anyone tell you any different. I'll be sad to see it go truthfully. It sounds freaking terrific with a nice boost ( I use a Keeley DS-1 or SD-1, they both sound great with it) in front of a slightly overdriven type tone plugged into input one a lot of the time. You can use the volume control on your guitar to control the dynamics from there.

• Members

If the reissue is setup like my 74...and I think it is, forget about channel 1. Turn the volume off and go into channel 2 and run it like a single channel amp. It will take to pedals very well like this. Try the treble around 7 and the bass around 4...mids where you like them. If you run the bass hard the amp won't sound good. People run them like a Fender and that just doesn't work. I like the volume around 5-7 and the master where you need it. Just a place to start.

I have tried a V30...Greenback...EV...I am running a C12N and love it. A JBL K120 is a fine fit also. In the picture, it's a K120 in each cab.

Boogierigcloseup2.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by SASQUATCH

I have a 1984 Boogie Mark II C +, and it is the best amp I have ever heard in my life.

It has simulclass which switches between 15 watts class a or 85 watts class a/b, and it is louder than sin.

The Boogie Mark series amps are amazing in my opinion.

Ahh, a C+. I didn't know how coveted those amps were until recently. I know some famous players used them but what makes them so good?

Gainster, I never get sick of that pic. A MK I and A mK IV, old meets new.

Archived