I'm really torn...

cre8ivjay

• Members

hey all,

I'm looking for a tool that can be used with relative ease in both studio (Nice and quiet), home, and in jams and gigs (FREAKING LOUD). I had figured a POD XT might be good used in conjunction with a small footswitch for live apps.

I tried one yesterday (on a crap little amp) and it sounded very so-so. Maybe it was the amp.. I don't know.. I just kinda felt deflated. I wanted to try on a better amp, but I have to wait until they get more in at my music store.

I liked the POD because it was small enough to toss anywhere easily, it could duplicate much of it's sound at high or low volumes (tube amps just don't allow me that plus I don't LOVE the maintenance factor) and it had a really nice spectrum of sound. I could get crazy wild crunch or pretty nice smooths. It did sound digitized though. This can be expected I guess.

I was holdoing out to try the POD with a ROLAND KC - 350. That might have sounded better. Maybe I should go Atomic amp or Tech 21 after all with a POD... Maybe this would help my POD sadness. Maybe a POD isn't for me./. maybe there is something else that fits the bill.

Too vague? I thought so.

Lost in a sea of thoughts.

Help.

• Members

Do you really need the variety of sounds that modeling amps provide?

Sounds to me like you'd really enjoy a good 25 (or so...) watt amp. Something that's going to sound ok at lower volumes but hang with a drummer when needed. Check out a Peavey Classic 20 or 30, Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket (has a headphone out if I remember correctly), or Fender Princeton. I'm sure others will chime in with other good options...

Step two is to check out some overdrive or distortion pedals that will allow you achieve higher gain levels without turning up your amp...

This is all coming from someone who owns a POD XT by the way. I can't remember the last time I picked it up. It mainly gets used for vocal effects on our PA at our practice space now. Yeah, it does make some cool sounds, but you'll never be as satisfied with your tone than you will with a real live tube amp.

All of that maintenance crap about tube amps is a farce as well. I haven't had to touch my Marshall since I bought it...

I jammed with a guy who had one of those Tech21 amps almost a year ago and remember being somewhat impressed, but my 100w JMP on two still kicked it's ass...

Archived