OT: NY Electronics guys.

• Members

He was quick. I gave him my amp on Friday night, and he got it back to me on Tuesday. I told him I was in no rush since I did not need the amp. The amp wasn't quick to fix since the major repair for fixing the cabinet with glue. Long drying times were needed.

His name is John Charette and his number is (718) 915-4343. I've seen him advertise on Craigslist. His shop is past the Lorimer stop. I used him once, and was satisfied. He was recommended to me by someone on another forum.

• Members

Originally posted by themeanreds

And while you are in Williamsburg, you can have a beer with a forumite if you like.

Maybe bring that Tonebender copy for him to check out. Maybe buy.

hmmmm?

I'd be down for that. You can try it out for a few weeks if you'd like. Just one less thing for me to worry about and move.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

What does an input jack on a PJ look like?

I built myself a Fender Champ, so I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to swap out the jack a PJ...Do you have the replacement jack already?

Its a plastic jack. I'd get something more stable beforehand. Switchcraft? Top mounted. Its not uncommon for the jacks to crap out, from what I understand, and I believe the infamous Billm has a document on how to fix it. I'm just very stressed, about to move, and fumble fingered when it comes to electronics. I LOVE this amp and just want it to work right.

• Members

Originally posted by ugly steeple fear

Its a plastic jack. I'd get something more stable beforehand. Switchcraft? Top mounted. Its not uncommon for the jacks to crap out, from what I understand, and I believe the infamous Billm has a document on how to fix it. I'm just very stressed, about to move, and fumble fingered when it comes to electronics. I LOVE this amp and just want it to work right.

If you don't have everything settled already, I'll also offer to do it.

I'm in Union county NJ. Right off the parkway and only 3 blocks from the train.

Do you have a link to the schematic and/or pics of the jack? Is it mounted to the board or mounted to the panel? Also, the plastic jack might be used for ground isolation, so you might not want to go to a metal jack (I don't know)

• Members

Originally posted by Lefty Geek

I'm thinking about throwing a BBQ party on Saturday. Come on over (as long as your are not scared by the hood I live in).

themeanreds, I am using the Alamo for the first time tomorrow during a gig. Damn clubs with no backline.

Where's your gig? Band links?

• Members

I'm pretty sure I'm heading out to see the HCEF battle of the bands at Sin-e on Saturday.

I work in Washington Heights, Lefty. Define scary.

I forgot about that show. If it rains, I might go to Sin-E instead. I was supposed to throw the party last weekend, but I opted to go to the Big Apple BBQ fest instead. This Saturday is the last free Saturday I will have for a while.

I live in East Williamsburg. Not scary at all, but suburbia it is not.

Where's your gig? Band links?

We are playing at Kenny's Castaways. The band is just a side-project for some of us in the band. We just do obscure garage-rock songs from the '60s like the Kinks and Paul Rever and the Raiders. Killer guitarist (not me) and drummer. No mp3s since it is not a real band (but we do rehearse like one).

Tomorrow will also be the debut of my new homebuilt pedal board. Since it is '60s music, I don't need many effects, so I built a tiny board so my pedals don't move around during a gig. Will take pics tonight.

http://www.brusic.com/thefopps/

• Members

According to Billm:

"You can replace it with a Switchcraft 12A. You should use the #1208 and 1209 insulating washers to prevent ground loops, and I recommend a short length of shielded cable to attach it to the circuit board. Connect the ground to the ground lug and the shorting lug that silences the input when nothing's plugged in.

You'll need a solder sucker or solder braid to remove the plastic jack, since it's hard to unsolder all four connections at once."

Does this make sense?

• Members

According to Billm:

"You can replace it with a Switchcraft 12A. You should use the #1208 and 1209 insulating washers to prevent ground loops, and I recommend a short length of shielded cable to attach it to the circuit board. Connect the ground to the ground lug and the shorting lug that silences the input when nothing's plugged in.

You'll need a solder sucker or solder braid to remove the plastic jack, since it's hard to unsolder all four connections at once."

Does this make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me.

It sounds like a fairly easy job. PM me if you'd like me to do it. There's a ham fest this weekend, so it might be possible to get the parts and do it all on Saturday.

Archived