Barber Tone Press is awesome.

papa taco

• Members

Oh maaaaan. This is the compression pedal for people that don't normally like compression. "Parallel compression" is the shiznit.

I tried a bunch of different settings, my favorite is the setting known in the 1 page manual as "gold dust for single coils" or was it "pixie dust?" Anyway, sustain at 11:00 and blend at 11:00, volume at 2:30. This just adds a hint of sustain and thickness but leaves dynamics and attack. Sweet.

After a while I realized I just want to leave it on in this setting all the time. Clean or with a Zvex Super Duper adding some crunch, this setting is awesome.

In full on compression mode (with Blend cranked) it's not as sweet and juicy as a Keeley Compressor but the gold here is the versatility and the fact you can make it so much more transparent than the Keeley. Both pedals are great, but quite different. I could see using both on a pedal board if your a compressor freak. I'm not, so the Barber is a good choice for me.

taco

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

Cool, I think I would like a Tone Press especially for acoustic stuff. Barber seems to be a good guy too.

On a side note, my comp is going back to his daddy for an external attack knob which should make it a lot more versatile.

That will be sweet. You go girl.

:D

• Members

man, i feel the same way. i never was one for compression but i thought i'd give the barber a try.

it's been on my board for about 6 months now and i always seems to find new uses for it.

it makes a killer boost that will push a tube amp into really thick overdrive. Also the internal color knob can give you some sick sounding compressed-dark jazz tones.

the tone press really is a pedal that you can tailor to suit your needs and will help you come up with your signature sound.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

You just got me thinking. Parallel blending is really cool. Is there a bypass loop pedal out there that allows for the blend of the wet signal to be mixed with the bypassed signal. That would be really cool for a number of other effects besides compression...imagine what you could do.

Hmm...talk to LOOOPER?

• Members

I forgot to mention how great this thing makes my Line 6 FM4 sound, I still have to roll down my guitar volume to offset the FM4's volume boost (since my compressor setting is pretty mild) but the Tone Press really warms it up and smooths it out. Very sweet indeed. Right now, I run Fullton 70 Fuzz-->FM4-->Tone PRess-->ZVex Super Duper-->EHX DMM-->ZVex Lofi Loop-->Boss TR2 (meh)-->Boss TU2. Nice tones going on baby.

taco

• Members

I've been a firm Tone-Press believer for the last 18 months or so since I discovered it and had a somewhat unpleasant experience with a Keeley Comp. I have the NEW Keeley Comp with the attack mod on the way now though, and I'm really REALLY REALLY anxious to see how it sounds in comparison! I'm not worried about the lack of the blend knob on the Keeley too much and that can be remedied with a pot on a true-bypass pedal (I might go ahead a build myself a custom one), but the tone itself with the adjustable attack is what's making me break into a nervous sweat. I'll post a side-by-side review once it shows up.

• Members
Originally posted by ryanspeer

I've been a firm Tone-Press believer for the last 18 months or so since I discovered it and had a somewhat unpleasant experience with a Keeley Comp. I have the NEW Keeley Comp with the attack mod on the way now though, and I'm really REALLY
REALLY
anxious to see how it sounds in comparison! I'm not worried about the lack of the blend knob on the Keeley too much and that can be remedied with a pot on a true-bypass pedal (I might go ahead a build myself a custom one), but the tone itself with the adjustable attack is what's making me break into a nervous sweat. I'll post a side-by-side review once it shows up.

Yes I remember you trolling the keeley comp.
:mad::p

I kid.

I could definitely see a person having both on their board. I look forward to your comparison.

taco

• Members

Thanks David!

As I said above, the Tone Press is an amazing compressor. I wish I had purchased it long ago when it first came out.

If anyone is on the fence re: the Tone Press, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's that good.

-b

• Members

Originally posted by BillyK

Thanks David!

As I said above, the Tone Press is an amazing compressor. I wish I had purchased it long ago when it first came out.

If anyone is on the fence re: the Tone Press, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's that good.

-b

Even if you normally hate compressors, you'll probably still like this pedal. Seriously.

Also, its boost (turning blend to zero) is really nice too. Full range, nice tone.

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

Yes I remember you trolling the keeley comp.

:mad::p

I kid.

I could definitely see a person having both on their board. I look forward to your comparison.

taco

I wouldn't call it trolling at all (even though I know you weren't intending that in all seriousness). I was just upset for a while over the fact that people seemed to conveniently forget that the first one chopped off a very noticeable amount of treble - until I happened to mention it myself - at which point they seemed to come out of the woodwork and admit as much themselves.

If a pedal is ACTUALLY the holy grail, then by all means promote and laud it. If it's ALMOST the holy grail, then I just expected that most people would be man enough to admit that it had it's shortcomings. With an electric the original Keeley Comp may be the holy grail, but with an acoustic, people led me to believe the same - which isn't ACTUALLY the case . . . I is just a-sayin' is all . . . :)

Regardless, the attack mod excites me.

• Members
Originally posted by EL KABONG

what is your super duper crunch setting.

fwiw

my woolymammoth will kick your ds 1 off your board along with other fuzz boxes. if you dont mind your ds 1 sounding gourmet garden fresh ! may have to go plug it in for a sec

Are you talkin to me??
:mad:;)

I don't have a ds1. But yeah, I'd love a wooly mammoth. It would kick my fulltone 70 off the board I figure. That's the goal, anyway.

My super duper red channel crunch setting is Gain = maximum, master volume = 9 oclock. This is just above unity with my setup. The yellow channel I'm using as a buffer right now and have it set at zero or up just a bit, but left on all the time.

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

Are you talkin to me??

:mad:;)

I don't have a ds1. But yeah, I'd love a wooly mammoth. It would kick my fulltone 70 off the board I figure. That's the goal, anyway.

My super duper red channel crunch setting is Gain = maximum, master volume = 9 oclock. This is just above unity with my setup. The yellow channel I'm using as a buffer right now and have it set at zero or up just a bit, but left on all the time.

Oh yeah, and I've thrown another favorite of mine back onto the board. The Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. It also sounds sweet with both the Super Duper and Tone Press. Great stacking tones.

taco

Archived