Successfully married GT8 and ToneLab SE!

Kewlpack

• Members

I tried the POD XT Live with the GT8 and had some limited success. However, I found some of the dynamics still weren't there. As fate would have it I ended up returning the XTL to deal with pressing broken car issues... :rolleyes:

When the opportunity presented itself, I decided I'd try something else... a ToneLab SE... I think I found the best hybrid modeling solution. It isn't as complex as you might think either...

The KEY - and I cannot emphasize this too much - I found that the tones from all of the modelers were better through a full range keyboard amp, active monitors, or a Roland JC120 (yeah!). There are a lot of subtleties you lose when you feed these modelers into a regular guitar amp/cab setup... you can't appreciate it till you go try it. Anyway...

Put together a little demo song that shows how the TLSE and GT8 can work together very well. Pardon the playing... it's a little smooth jazz and these are very improv takes.

The ToneLab brought a nice sparkle to the rhythm track. Love that

little tube!

Here it is...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/kewlpack_music.htm (SNOW ANGELS)

Rig chain:

C1 BlackJack > TLSE & GT8 (via 4cm) > KX1200 amp > PC.

Preamp tones: TLSE (BlackFace 2x12 [rhythm], UK High Gain [leads])

Effects: GT8 (2x2 chorus, dual-s delay, room reverb)

Drums/Bass: ACID loops

Recorded/Mixed: Guitar Tracks Pro 3

Like it? Hate it?

• Members

I'm wondering if its possible to get dirtier sounds like Beatles "Yer Blue" or White Stripes.

Also, can it do NOFX or System of a Down type heavy distortions.

I'm looking for a super versatile live and recording set up.

• Members

hi pjk,

I don't know about those tones to be honest. I don't listen to any of those bands, except for the Beatles here and there...

And for Beatles tones, VOX AC30TB is the ticket... and the TLSE does that particular brand of tone wonderfully (figures - VOX owns 'em both).

I read a lot where folks dis the TLSE because it "can't do high gain metal tones"... I think I would disagree. You can make a thrashy nu metal tone pretty easily.

I would recommend you go try the various modelers at your local Guitar Center (if you have one in town) and play them through a flat response keyboard amp (KX1200 or similar) or a JC120 - just EQ the amp flat (everything at "5").

Then dial in the tones using preamp models on each unit that correspond to the real amps. Jam away and decide which you like the best. The TLSE will have the best tube-like tone because it uses a real tube in the power amp stage. I think you'll like it.

If the tones you are wanting come from more solidstate amps, then the GT8 or XTLive may be the ticket. You have to play 'em to make that call.

Good hunting!

Archived