FTP help

ryanspeer

• Members

I have a guy hosting a website for me, but I'm hoping to learn the in's and out's of FTP so that I can create and maintain an attractive webpage. Any clues you guys can give me in creating something from scratch? Is it as simple as creating something Word and saving it as a "webpage" or "htm" file or whatever the heck it is (while working out the hyperlinks and stuff inside the documents)? I have MS Frontpage, but his setup doesn't support Frontpage and so that's kind of a minor delimna for me. Any clues for a novice?

• Members

Originally posted by ryanspeer

bump

Wow.

You talk about your broad questions... :p

You say FTP, but it sounds like you're thinking more of HTML (FTP is "File Transfer Protocol," which just moves things around online - it's how you would upload your website to your host, for instance).

What I would do is, delete this thread and start a new one titled "HTML help" or something similar, to be sure people have the right idea.

Anyway, any setup supports Frontpage in some capacity. For what you're doing, you can create a simple webpage in Frontpage, save it as a .html file, and upload it. There's nothing not to support as far as I know, because HTML is HTML, no matter what makes it (I wrote my first page with Notepad, actually).

As for the actual HTML code, Frontpage lets you avoid most of it. To get an idea what it is, go to "View Source" in your browser. What Frontpage does (as well as competing programs, like Macromedia Dreamweaver), is put a front end on that code that lets you build your page visually rather than by typing in code. It's called a WYSIWYG editor, for What you See is What You Get.

Other than that, google for an intro to HTML - that's what you really need.

Archived